Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sun: not so free lego

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I don't really mind, to be honest. I think these promotions bring out the worst in people. If nothing else, you have to shift through dozens of spammy ads on adverts.ie for weeks afterwards where wannabe investors are trying to sell them for 5x their value.

/Rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

So you collect stamps and send them a self-addressed envelope in a presumably larger envelope...

I prefer walking around the corner to Smyths to collect but I'll give this a bash anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Derek93

Is it even open to Irish sun? can't find any terms and conditions or prices for a Irish offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

I don't really mind, to be honest. I think these promotions bring out the worst in people. If nothing else, you have to shift through dozens of spammy ads on adverts.ie for weeks afterwards where wannabe investors are trying to sell them for 5x their value.

/Rant.

completely agree. You read some horror stories over on brickset where people are bringing in 30-40 papaers! .

Is this not open to Ireland? The only copy of the sun I could find today had no mention of lego and just a Ben 10 toy instead...?

• Advertisement

Yeah me neither, seems its not even open to Ireland, funny because I have a bonus big smile token they sent me by email, yet I can't use it..

Bummer, we might get one day for lego similar to today's Ben 10 so it's worth keeping an eye on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Had a shufty in the sun this morning... no sign of anything spectacular in the pic of the free sets so I didn't bother... Frankly I CBA getting a paper for a whole week for some little basic sets the components of which I could pick up on bricklink for little more than the cost of postage and a few papers... Much prefer the usual way of working it with the tokens...

This deal is now open to Irish readers. I spotted this in a shop this morning, tokens started yesterday and will run until this day week. Entries have to be posted in by the 15th march.

The plot thickens:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/mar/06/anti-page-3-victory-lego-sun
    A parent who took his anti-Page 3 campaign to Legoland and Wapping is claiming victory after the Danish toymaker announced the end of its two-year promotional partnership with the Sun.

It might move to another paper - in 2009 there was a similar promo with The Mirror, though you had to post tokens away, which is a system I'd be much happier with for reasons I mentioned above.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I had thought of availing of this promotion but decided against as I would have to buy 5 Sun papers in a row (€5) and then on top of that pay an extra €3 and a self addressed enclosed padded envelope for a tiny set that would probably be worth about €4.99 in shops. Not worth the expense IMO.

Plus the Sun is a complete rag that I would have absolutely zero interest in reading.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I had thought of availing of this promotion but decided against as I would have to buy 5 Sun papers in a row (€5) and then on top of that pay an extra €3 and a self addressed enclosed padded envelope for a tiny set that would probably be worth about €4.99 in shops. Not worth the expense IMO.

Plus the Sun is a complete rag that I would have absolutely zero interest in reading.

its 5 sets, you don't just get 1 set, you get 5 random polybags for the 5 tokens.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Derek93 wrote: »
    its 5 sets, you don't just get 1 set, you get 5 random polybags for the 5 tokens.

I still could not be arsed. So it is 5eu for newspapers and going to shop everyday for that newspaper. 3-4eu for all the postage expanses. So I the end you will get 5 polibags which most likely going to be around 3-4eu on adverts very soon. So of you don't include petrol expenses you save about 7eu max.
    I would personally pay that 7eu extra to Not to do all the stuff. :)

I still could not be arsed. So it is 5eu for newspapers and going to shop everyday for that newspaper. 3-4eu for all the postage expanses. So I the end you will get 5 polibags which most likely going to be around 3-4eu on adverts very soon. So of you don't include petrol expenses you save about 7eu max.
    I would personally pay that 7eu extra to Not to do all the stuff. :)

Well if you did not live out in the middle of the phantom zone..ie Cork..you could walk to the shop :P

I work beside a Newsagent and a Post Office, I've really no excuse not to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭James Hunt

Anyone know if they printed a form for this?

It says on the tokens that they will print an application form which must be returned with the tokens, but I haven't seen it. Even today, which is the last day, it still says that they will print it later in the week. They need to have received the tokens and SAE by Friday, so if they haven't printed the form by now, it's going to be tight.

Form was printed with token 5. so Wednesday maybe?

it was printed in Wednesday's paper alright. I purchased a paper on Thursday as well but there was no form in that particular issue

Thanks lads, seems that it was printed on a day when I didn't get the paper.

But it still said on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday that they would be printing it later in the week - which wasn't the case at all. The paper has refused to take the tokens without the form.

Seems that the application form was actually the key thing, not really the tokens.

James Hunt wrote: »
    Thanks lads, seems that it was printed on a day when I didn't get the paper.

But it still said on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday that they would be printing it later in the week - which wasn't the case at all. The paper has refused to take the tokens without the form.

Seems that the application form was actually the key thing, not really the tokens.

James thats bull**** mate, they kept reprinting the same spiel about printing the form later in the week even on token 6/7/8 ect, contact consumer affairs and make a complaint.

• Advertisement

Well, I emailed them and asked them again to accept the tokens without the form, given their mistake, and they agreed.

So I sent it off last Thursday, hopefully it works out.

Don't forget to brag on which sets you get! :D

Those should be all 2013 polibags?

Don't forget to brag on which sets you get! :D

Those should be all 2013 polibags?

Quite the opposite actually - it seems to be a clear-out of old stock, so they'll be polybags from 2011 and 2012 mostly. That seems to be the indiction from those who have gotten them so far.

Quite the opposite actually - it seems to be a clear-out of old stock, so they'll be polybags from 2011 and 2012 mostly. That seems to be the indiction from those who have gotten them so far.
    So I guess more polibags for adverts.is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Yup, LEGO confirmed that they have no involvement in this campaign after they ended their collaboration with the Shun last month, and that the the ongoing campaign is using leftover stock form previous ones...

Has anyone who participated received their lego as yet? It's been over a month since I posted mine and have received nothing...

• Registered Users Posts: 36 kingcrowley

Has anyone who participated received their lego as yet? It's been over a month since I posted mine and have received nothing...

Same here - don't remember if they stated a time scale for delivery?

I paid by credit card and they still haven't charged me....

The documentation stated that the lego should be received within 28 days. I think the closing date for forms was the 15th March so I assume that they must mean 28days from that date.
    I'll post here when/ if they finally arrive.

Sent two stamped envelopes one from my own house and one from my Mums under different names and neither has came back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭lostboy75

had an order in for 2 sets as well, 1 arrived at my place today.

City
    30018-1: Police Microlight - looks fun, happy
    Super Heroes
    30162-1: Quinjet - not pushed, parts
    Alien Conquest
    30141-1: Jetpack - initially thought, damn, but looking at the bag again, quite like him
    Ninjago
    30080-1: Ninja Glider - ninjas, alway good. f off gold sword, like
    30085-1: Jumping Snakes - another ninja, good, green snakes, hey why not

over all, while not great value for money, i am happy with this collection.
    will post contents of other when i get it.

Advertisement