Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Server 2012 Evaluation Licence

Options
  • 20-02-2013 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm trying to get some Server 2102 certs, and so was looking to get an evaluation licence for server 2012, but when i go through the MS Technet Site here, i get the following instructions -

Step 1: Review Windows Server 2012 system requirements
    Step 2: Register, then download and install full-featured software for a 180-day trial
    Step 3: Receive emails with resources to guide you

I've registered and downloaded the ISO, but as soon as i try to install it on VMPlayer, it asks for a licence, and it's not even as if i can install it without the licence and get nagged about it for the 6 months.

Am i missing something? Anyone else get this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Instructions here, the trick is to disable the VMWare Easy Installer.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

Thanks for that - I'm pretty sure that's what i'm doing already, except it craps out at the stage where the OS starts to install.

I'll have another muck around with it tonight anyway.

Also, in this instance would VMplayer and Workstation8 be vastly different?

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

Ah - got it.

When you get to the step to "Install Guest Operating System", and you have the option to use:
    "Installer Disk"
    "Installer Disk Image (ISO)"
    "Install O/S disk later"

You need to chose "Install O/S disk later", this builds the VM with a blank hard drive, then (as long as you set up your ISO as a fake CD image), you can boot into the CD image and install Server 2012 as normal, and you get the evaluation licence.

Advertisement