Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large orange fireball crossing the sky tonight

Options
  • 20-02-2013 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

Am I the only one to have seen it?

About 8pm this evening I saw a large orange fireball crossing the sky, from east to west. Way bigger than anything I have ever seen. It must have taken over a minute to cross the sky.
    At first I thought it was a firework rising from some nearby houses. Then I realised it was rising in the sky from east to west. It crossed right over the house and I lost it behind the tree line to the west.
    I am no expert, but I presume it was a meteor. I expected to see reference to it online or the news.

I am located in west Tipperary.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

johnb25 wrote: »
    Am I the only one to have seen it?

About 8pm this evening I saw a large orange fireball crossing the sky, from east to west. Way bigger than anything I have ever seen. It must have taken over a minute to cross the sky.
    At first I thought it was a firework rising from some nearby houses. Then I realised it was rising in the sky from east to west. It crossed right over the house and I lost it behind the tree line to the west.
    I am no expert, but I presume it was a meteor. I expected to see reference to it online or the news.

I am located in west Tipperary.

Chinese lantern. We are actually getting a very cold easterly wind and airflow the last few days. That's why it's got alot colder.

A meteor would only last seconds, tops, in the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

I'd say ISS if it was west to east...transit time of 20:32 last night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Kencollins wrote: »
    I'd say ISS if it was west to east...transit time of 20:32 last night

Wrong time and direction though, so couldn't be the ISS. Anyway, the ISS looks like a very bright star, just bright white in colour when the Sun is reflecting off it and you are then able to see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

OP, was it just a dot or did it have a tail? The orange colour and one minute transit time would indicate to me it was a lantern jobbie. A lack of a tail would seal the deal for me.
    Still though, at least someones looking up! I remember seeing one years ago and i could see the flames flickering off the tail. I was highly impressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

No tail, just basically round.
    From the replies, and other searching I am pretty sure it was a lantern. :o
    Thanks for the replies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement