Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam text?

Options
  • 19-02-2013 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hey all,
    Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I got a text message from an 085 number saying "The person at 35385******* has no credit and would like you to ring them. Mesg left at 2013-02-12 20:51"
    I know there were scams a week or so ago where people had missed calls and thought it was a mobile and were calling back to premium rate numbers. This looks like a real number though - starts with 35385...
    I don't know this number, no one in my phone book and don't want to call it back. Has anyone else had this happen recently, is it just another scam?
    :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭xLexie

Meteor was after Russia last week, they're after you this week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

The reason they have no credit is because they responded to a text message about someone with no credit. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

tobytobe wrote: »
    Hey all,
    Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I got a text message from an 085 number saying "The person at 35385******* has no credit and would like you to ring them. Mesg left at 2013-02-12 20:51"
    I know there were scams a week or so ago where people had missed calls and thought it was a mobile and were calling back to premium rate numbers. This looks like a real number though - starts with 35385...
    I don't know this number, no one in my phone book and don't want to call it back. Has anyone else had this happen recently, is it just another scam?

It's a call me text and its been around for years. This person obviously has the wrong number and sent it to you. No need to be so paranoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

It's a service Meteor offer, see the third section down here. Probably not a scam... probably

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

tobytobe wrote: »
    Hey all,
    I often get those messages from my daughters when they've no credit, and they're genuine. But if you don't know the number it might be just that someone texted your number by mistake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tobytobe

I can see I'm going to get loads of sensible answers :cool:
    I have to say, that Meteor line was a good 'un.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I've just rang that number OP and I couldn't get through.

there might be too many stars in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I get these all the time, if the person can't even afford to ring me they're not much good to me.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tobytobe

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I've just rang that number OP and I couldn't get through.

there might be too many stars in it?

Haha...ok ok...
    Thanks. So it's a genuine service. I didn't know about it but then if I have no credit I use someone else's phone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I got woken up once by a call from an unknown number, he'd apparently got a similar text naming my number. He didn't seem to get it that I was as annoyed to be woken up as he was to get the text.

• Advertisement
Advertisement