Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to learn part-time

Options
  • 19-02-2013 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

My OH may have an opportunity to go to Japan (Tokyo) mid next year and if possible I would like to follow. I however have no Japanese at all. I don't believe in living in a forgein country expecting the natives to speak your language. I also work in science/health care so being able to speak Japanese would be important if not essential.
    I don't expect it to be be easy. I don't think I'll be anywhere fluent in a year. I would like to have a strong foundation at least, any more would be a bonus.
    I currently work 9 to 5 in Dublin 2 and live in Dublin 9. How would you guys recommend I start? Book/CDs like "Japanese for dummies" or classes somewhere? Are there any good value evening classes in Dublin? I know DCU isn't running them unfortunately.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I have never taken any classes, but I'd imagine if you're serious about moving to Japan in a years time grouped weekly classes or such probably won't be of much good as you won't advance fast enough to reach a required competency for when you move.

I'd say work focus on building your conversational Japanese, 'Genki' is the best book for beginners apparently. Then skype calling and pen pal as much as possible, use Lang-8 daily etc. Pimsleur or Assimil might help.

But, working in the environment you've described, might require you to be able to read the kanji. Which is a slow process, so I feel I should recommend getting Heisig's book and getting started as soon as you can.

It's a tricky one, learning to read and write well is a long hard slog in Japanese, but it wouldn't be wise to move across and not be able converse with some competency. Especially in a health care environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

My OH may have an opportunity to go to Japan (Tokyo) mid next year and if possible I would like to follow. I however have no Japanese at all. I don't believe in living in a forgein country expecting the natives to speak your language. I also work in science/health care so being able to speak Japanese would be important if not essential.
    I don't expect it to be be easy. I don't think I'll be anywhere fluent in a year. I would like to have a strong foundation at least, any more would be a bonus.
    I currently work 9 to 5 in Dublin 2 and live in Dublin 9. How would you guys recommend I start? Book/CDs like "Japanese for dummies" or classes somewhere? Are there any good value evening classes in Dublin? I know DCU isn't running them unfortunately.

That's very exciting! I hope it works out for you and it sounds like you have the right attitude.

About the language, have you looked at the Sandford Language Institute?

http://www.sandfordlanguages.ie/

That's not a recommendation as I have not tried their classes myself, but I know they offer various levels of Japanese.

Fair play for setting out to learn the language before you go. You should start as soon as possible, and use several different learning methods. An evening class once a week won't do much for you on its own, but if you combine it with other kinds of learning...

Some people find one-to-one lessons very effective, although of course it probably depends on the teacher.

Can I suggest you look at japanesepod101.com? It has loads of audio lessons at different levels. I use it and I find it helpful. I pay for a subscription but I think some material is available free.

The main thing is, if you want to make decent progress, it can't be just something you do for an hour a week.

Also, the more you learn about Japan (not just the language, but the culture and society) the better you will be able to understand.

Finally (and sorry to end on a negative note), I don't think you will be able to work in science/healthcare. Work options are severely limited for people who don't speak and read Japanese well. But you could be lucky and find something that suits you.

Best of luck with the preparations, and please drop in here with questions or just to keep us up to date with how you are getting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

But, working in the environment you've described, might require you to be able to read the kanji. Which is a slow process, so I feel I should recommend getting Heisig's book and getting started as soon as you can.

It's a tricky one, learning to read and write well is a long hard slog in Japanese, but it wouldn't be wise to move across and not be able converse with some competency.

I agree it's a tricky one. I'd say the best thing is to prioritise speaking and listening ability, and put reading on the back burner for now. If the OP can engage in basic conversation, read kana and recognise a hundred kanji by the middle of next year, that will be a very respectable achievement.

Advertisement