Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cultural context?

Options
  • 19-02-2013 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

My teacher didn't explain anything at all. I've no clue how to go about this
    Please help :(
    My texts are
    .1984 George Oswell
    .translations by Brian friel
    .children of men (the movie)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Booshmallow

I have Wuthering Height and Im not scared as my other two texts but i have notes on Translations for cultural context and Theme/Issue if they'll help at all ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bobsbestfriend

I have Wuthering Height and Im not scared as my other two texts but i have notes on Translations for cultural context and Theme/Issue if they'll help at all ?
    That would be massive help Thankyou!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Booshmallow

Ill scan them in a bit and put them up for you ill look through my other notes as well and see what i have i have un-relevant things to me that might be of help to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bobsbestfriend

Ill scan them in a bit and put them up for you ill look through my other notes as well and see what i have i have un-relevant things to me that might be of help to you :)
    Thankyou so much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

irrelevant* sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Lckilkenny

I'm studying Sive, Purple Hibiscus and I'm Not Scared, could anyone give some advice on how to approach a cultural context Question on these texts? I literally haven't a clue :(

Lckilkenny wrote: »
    I'm studying Sive, Purple Hibiscus and I'm Not Scared, could anyone give some advice on how to approach a cultural context Question on these texts? I literally haven't a clue :(

Divide your plan into various aspects of cultural context: gender roles, power etc.

I have decided to divide them into 3 topics- Role of men and women, Education and Money. but how exactly am I supposed to discuss them ? :(

Lckilkenny wrote: »
    I have decided to divide them into 3 topics- Role of men and women, Education and Money. but how exactly am I supposed to discuss them ? :(

get a quote from each under each heading and bluff the rest!

Il try that haha! Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭fontdor

I have studied Sive antigone and casablanca and understand nothing can anyone help please?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

Im studying sive,casablanca,how many miles to babylon, Anyone any suggestions on headings?
    So far ive gender roles and War.

Tommyrawr wrote: »
    Im studying sive,casablanca,how many miles to babylon, Anyone any suggestions on headings?
    Power maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Tommyrawr wrote: »

I do Sive, How Many Miles to Babylon and I'm Not Scared, so I may be able to help with the first two anyways.

You could maybe have a point on social class in society, as in, in 'HMMTB', the family are of a high-up aristocrat family with a lot of power. You can see how their social class (as being high-up in society) affects their behaviour and attitudes to other characters. For example, you see the way Alicia treats Jerry because he is a peasant - She can barely pronounce his name! As well as that, she acts in a clearly unjust manner because Jerry is of a lower-class - She doesn't let Alex become friends with him. In 'Sive', it's almost like the opposite. Mena pretty much represents the 'peasant' side of the family, as she slaves around the house working all day. Sive represents almost a 'high-up' class, as she goes to school and gets an education (none of which Mena had). You can clearly see how Mena's social class as a peasant influences her actions towards Sive. You could say she feels jealous of Sive, as Sive doesn't have to do the tasks Mena has to do, as Sive isn't a 'true peasant' (as she gets an education etc). She acts out of this jealousy, and behaves in an unjust way to bring Sive down (She tries to sell her off).

That's just a little bit of a point I made up on the spot, you'd have to maybe expand on that. I don't know anything about your other text so I can't say anything about it.

ray2012 wrote: »
    I do Sive, How Many Miles to Babylon and I'm Not Scared, so I may be able to help with the first two anyways.

You could maybe have a point on social class in society, as in, in 'HMMTB', the family are of a high-up aristocrat family with a lot of power. You can see how their social class (as being high-up in society) affects their behaviour and attitudes to other characters. For example, you see the way Alicia treats Jerry because he is a peasant - She can barely pronounce his name! As well as that, she acts in a clearly unjust manner because Jerry is of a lower-class - She doesn't let Alex become friends with him. In 'Sive', it's almost like the opposite. Mena pretty much represents the 'peasant' side of the family, as she slaves around the house working all day. Sive represents almost a 'high-up' class, as she goes to school and gets an education (none of which Mena had). You can clearly see how Mena's social class as a peasant influences her actions towards Sive. You could say she feels jealous of Sive, as Sive doesn't have to do the tasks Mena has to do, as Sive isn't a 'true peasant' (as she gets an education etc). She acts out of this jealousy, and behaves in an unjust way to bring Sive down (She tries to sell her off).

That's just a little bit of a point I made up on the spot, you'd have to maybe expand on that. I don't know anything about your other text so I can't say anything about it.

I don't think you could say Sive is of a higher class to be honest but I get what you're getting at. The play is set in a backward town in Kerry very much detached from greater society. Traditionally priests, wealthy farmers etc. were held in high regard and so Sean Dóta's perverted desire is taken seriously. This, coupled with the valuable 200 sovereigns is responsible for Sive's forced marriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭David086

Can anyone help me on the difference between Theme/Issue and Cultural Context? To me they seem very similar.

David086 wrote: »
    Can anyone help me on the difference between Theme/Issue and Cultural Context? To me they seem very similar.

The former is a unifying idea/message (Loneliness sucks universally speaking) while the latter is the various aspects of the worlds of the texts which influence the plot (Money is cool in Kerry).

Advertisement