Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble installing latest Ubuntu on Samsung Netbook

Options
  • 19-02-2013 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am attempting to install the latest ubuntu on a Samsung NP-NC110 netbook. This came pre installed with Windows 7 Home Edition. I have already formatted drive completely(samsung recovery partition included) and did a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate with no problems. However I want the option of at least a dual boot with Ubuntu. I followed all the correct procedure(swap space etc etc) as documented on the ubuntu site, numerous times to no avail. it seems to install o.s but when it goes to reboot for last time before first boot of o.s it freezes at a black screen generally. i have googled this and seems to be a specifice problem with my model of netbook as others have had the exact same problem. Some have speculated on other forums that the device is essentially "booby trapped" to install only windows o.s's. others have also mentioned missing bootloader file(grub?) preventing ubuntu from loading. As stated I carefully followed the intructions during install stage. I tried every possible combination of various drives, swap spaces etc but no sucess

I would really appreciate any advice

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1979375

looks like it's uefi equipped netbook and windows 7 doesn't need uefi (I'm open to correction on that)

can you switch uefi off in bios?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

PrzemoF wrote: »
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1979375

looks like it's uefi equipped netbook and windows 7 doesn't need uefi (I'm open to correction on that)

can you switch uefi off in bios?

Hi yes you are correct in that. I have read alot about the pitfalls of troublesome uefi also. I tried turning that off also but it did not work. I pretty much tried every combination of settings in bios also. I have a feeling its something to do with bootloader not loading or something

Anything at all shows up or it's straight to the black screen? Any blinking cursor?

Can you boot it from livecd/usb drive?

Hi

Its been a while since I last attempted it. I do remember it would not boot from live usb also. I could boot from hiren boot usb alright and navigate through xp mini. I will attempt it again and let you know exactly what screen says. Thanks for the help

Hi
    I attempted an install there on a seperate 30gb partition. On reboot after install it went through a few more stages sucessfully before the ubuntu logo appearing on a purple screen. Then a DOS style screen appeared with a lot of text, too much to take everything down. i recorded where i think the problems were though.

"mountall:swapon/host/ubuntu/disk/swap.disk[6615]terminated wuth status 255
    mountall:problemactivatingswap/host/ubuntu/disk/swap.disk

<alot more similar lines after this apparantly showing sucessful stages of installation so i didnt take them down>

<last few lines as follows>
    "starting regular background program processing dameon
    starting deferred execution scheduler
    stopping save kernel messages
    starting CPU interrupts balancing daemon

<it then hangs indefinitely and i press the power button to power off>

Please note i get this same screen regardless of using windows installer for ubuntu or using usb boot to install and following correct partition instructions from ubuntu site

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement

Missing swap is ok - system should work without swap (we'll fix it later)

When it "hangs" can you switch to different consoles? (Alt-Ctrl-F1 F2 F3 and so on)

When it "hangs" can you switch to different consoles? (Alt-Ctrl-F1 F2 F3 and so on)

Thanks for your response. I only tried Ctrl-Alt-Delete to even reboot and it didnt respond. Had to turn off at power. Ill try again with your suggestion.Thanks

yeah just tried all those options,no response.had to power off

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

When I was installing ubuntu on my thinkpad a couple of years ago I had a blank screen after reboot - though the screen worked fine during install. I eventually figured out that the system was having problems loading the correct driver for the integrated intel graphics. So I blacklisted the non-intel drivers. I created a w520.conf file in /etc/modprobe.d and added
    blacklist fbdev
    blacklist vesa

If you can boot the live CD/USB try adding this file with these drivers blacklisted. If the live CD/USB works you might also look at the logs (the general syslog & the Xorg logs would be my priority) in /var/logs to see if there is any obvious errors!

croo wrote: »
    When I was installing ubuntu on my thinkpad a couple of years ago I had a blank screen after reboot - though the screen worked fine during install. I eventually figured out that the system was having problems loading the correct driver for the integrated intel graphics. So I blacklisted the non-intel drivers. I created a w520.conf file in /etc/modprobe.d and added
    blacklist fbdev
    blacklist vesa

If you can boot the live CD/USB try adding this file with these drivers blacklisted. If the live CD/USB works you might also look at the logs (the general syslog & the Xorg logs would be my priority) in /var/logs to see if there is any obvious errors!

cheers,thanks for your response. i think thats way above my technical abilities haha,ill have a go though:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement