Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belgian GP 2013

Options
  • 19-02-2013 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi, I'm thinking of heading over to this GP this year for the aul mans 60th. I have read a bit and looks like I might be better of staying in Brussels to let the girls shop and train it back and forward to SPA for practice etc. Is ryanair or aerlingus better or neither. Is brussels and train the right option or too much travel. any advise please on this and hotels please. thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Nertballs

I'm planning on something similar myself, just booked my tickets the other day.

we are looking at staying at liege currently! the rough breakdown is (travel wise):
    return flights 85 for ryanair, 110 for aerlingus,
    18 for return ticket brussels to liege
    8 a day for train from liege to verviers
    6 a day for shuttle bus to the track!

it's alot of travelling, but seems to work out cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭WORRZELL

right, I seen there was 5 day travel passes which might be worth looking in to. As I'm not looking to travel from Brussels each day I might now look at arrive early Saturday and go back late Sunday night as last flight at the moment is 9pm which would easily make that and save on a nights accommodation. Thinking of getting Gold 6 tickets so might have to skimp elsewhere otherwise I may have to look at Silverstone which I dont want to do but might be the more cheaper viable option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

If you are going to Belguim fly to Brussels with Aer Lingus. It is worth the extra and you will pay the difference between Charleroi and Brussels on trains/buses

flights booked from saturday to monday, I'm probably looking at staying in Brussels and putting up with the ****3 commute to the track as this way we can enjoy the city at night. Hopefully I can pick up a 3 or 5 day travel pass to ease the cost of all the travel!! any other advise or pointers for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

If you are going to Belguim fly to Brussels with Aer Lingus. It is worth the extra and you will pay the difference between Charleroi and Brussels on trains/buses

+1000000 on this

• Advertisement

well I've booked everything now, Decided to fly in on saturday and go straight to the circut, then staying in Spa that night, back up and in early next day as I got a Bronze ticket (general admin) and back into brussels on Sunday after the GP for lashings of pints, staying in the centre of the city beside central station and back home monday. Can not wait, :))))))))))))))))))))))

Where's the best place to buy tickets for the Belgian race? Straight through Formula1.com?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Where's the best place to buy tickets for the Belgian race? Straight through Formula1.com?
    Would like to know also? I was looking at buying them from the spa website itself last year.

Sheeps wrote: »
    Would like to know also? I was looking at buying them from the spa website itself last year.

I bought them from the f1 official website, I'm staying in spa on the Saturday as it means not losing hours on travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I'm thinking of heading to Belgian Grand Prix in August.

I was looking up the fanvision website (formerly Kangaroo TV) and it looks like they are not suppying F1 in 2013. I had one of them in Silverstone in 2010 and it was great in qualifying for seeing sector times. The commentary was also very handy.

What other options are there now that fanvision is gone?

I was thinking of getting a belgian pre pay sim and maybe streaming the action on my phone. It looks like you can get a sim card and 2GB for €20 from proxmimus.

• Advertisement

Yeah I was wondering about an alternative to that, would be handy.

I probably won't get a Belgian sim though, most of my trip won't be spent in Belgium :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

WORRZELL wrote: »
    well I've booked everything now, Decided to fly in on saturday and go straight to the circut, then staying in Spa that night, back up and in early next day as I got a Bronze ticket (general admin) and back into brussels on Sunday after the GP for lashings of pints, staying in the centre of the city beside central station and back home monday. Can not wait, :))))))))))))))))))))))

Definately the best option, one night in Brux is plenty, mind yourself around the station, its a bit of a seedy area.

Friend described Spa s a great place to watch a race, enjoy!

Anyone else camping over? :D

If there's no fanvision kind of thing an FM radio for the track commentator will do! :pac: I'm wondering how far into the 4 nights and 5 days of camping the adrenaline will wear off :pac:

Don't know if I'll camp but I have the race tickets and flights booked. Can't wait for the end of August now. This will be my third grand prix. Went to Montreal in 2006 and Silverstone in 2010. So far I have seen 7 world champions race - Villeneuve, Schumacher, Alonso, Raikonnen, Hamilton, Button and Vettel. Don't think there is anyone on the grid at the minute to add to that list in the future.

I would offer you a space in my tent but we're already overbooked :P I'm heading with a few mates and one of them doesn't like motorsport but even he went to the thing in Dublin last year. Can't wait to hear it :D

i too am heading to belgium

What are your plans?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    The adrenaline wont wear off! I was racing in SPA last month and it was some experience. Flying through Blanchimont at 140+ mph is something I wont ever forget!

Very nice! What were you driving?

Flying to Charleroi on 6pm flight on 23rd back same time Monday. Haven't dealt with accommodation or transport to the circuit yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Diarmuid1995

Camping outside the circuit, flying into charelroi airport thursday morning and flight back monday morning. Anyone know how best to get from the airport to francorchamps, ie. by bus or train?

• Advertisement

Have everything booked now.

Flying to Eindhoven on Thursday, hiring a car for 5 days and flying back to Dublin on Monday. Staying in hotels in Aachen on Thursday to Saturday and then Eindhoven on Sunday night after the race. Parking the hire car in the Elephant campsite for €10 a day.

Flights €90
    Car Hire €90
    Dublin airport parking €29
    General Admission Ticket €155
    Elephant Campsite parking €30
    Three nights in Aachen €180 (same price as camping in spa)
    One night in Eindhoven €55
    Total €630
    + food + petrol

Can't bloody wait. Leaving next Tuesday, having a bit of a road trip with a few of my mates for it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Can't bloody wait. Leaving next Tuesday, having a bit of a road trip with a few of my mates for it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

Does anyone know if theres access to the pits on Thursday?

Pit walk is on Thursday. From what I heard you can get good access to the pits but there will be thousands of people there and not for those who are claustrophobic. I thinks it's on from 15:30-18:00 but the times are never set in stone so the advice is to be there early.

recyclebin wrote: »
    Pit walk is on Thursday. From what I heard you can get good access to the pits but there will be thousands of people there and not for those who are claustrophobic. I thinks it's on from 15:30-18:00 but the times are never set in stone so the advice is to be there early.

Thanks, will probably go and see what's on offer

right lads looks like i've made an error, I get in on saturday morning and I thuoght we'd make it to the track for qualifying. but it looks like its going to take me 4hours all in to get there with trains and bus. what time does qualifying fininsh as I'm looking at getting a taxi direct now from the airport on saturday morning which is going to cost 160(ouch) but will get there in 90 mins. Any thoughts or ideas on this? HELPPPP or if you know anybody who's looking to share the taxi and costs.

WORRZELL wrote: »
    right lads looks like i've made an error, I get in on saturday morning and I thuoght we'd make it to the track for qualifying. but it looks like its going to take me 4hours all in to get there with trains and bus. what time does qualifying fininsh as I'm looking at getting a taxi direct now from the airport on saturday morning which is going to cost 160(ouch) but will get there in 90 mins. Any thoughts or ideas on this? HELPPPP or if you know anybody who's looking to share the taxi and costs.

What time do you get in? Qualifying finishes at 3. Also do you have a general admission ticket? Apparently you need to be in v early to get a decent spot.

• Advertisement

flight lands at 9:30 so I made an arse of me times. I thought we could get there by 11 but after looking at the train times and bus we would get there 2-3 which is no use. If i get a taxi i can be there in 90 mins which isnt that bad but 160 lids!!!!!

Advertisement