Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling with Ryanair - restrictions?

Options
  • 19-02-2013 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭

Hi, hope I'm posting this in the right forum. Have searched to see if this has been done already.

Anyway, I'm travelling to the UK with the above mentioned. Now I haven't travelled with them for years due to rage several years back (rage with service or lack thereof)
    I'm just travelling with a weekend shoulder bag which I don't want to check in.
    So the questions are
    1 - Can I also bring a handbag or will that cost extra?
    2 - what toiletries can I have in the bag? You know as in make up, washing stuff etc?

Last time I travelled with them, the rules were changed in the days I was visiting, cue embarrassed and angry traveller having to empty their suitcase in the middle of the airport. Would really like to avoid such a scenario again.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭highlydebased

You will have to put your handbag in your shoulder bag. Overall you cannot bring on more than 10kg

Usual liquid rules apply http://www.ryanair.com/en/notices/060811-UK-EN

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Oh dear, so mini everything or just buy stuff when i'm there. Good job I checked and didn't rock up with my handbag and shoulder bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

OP, how big is your shoulder bag, dimensions wise? Can't hurt to get out a tape measure and have a quick check. It can not be any bigger than 55cm (length) 40cm (width) & 20cm (front to back) or you'll be made to check it.

On the toiletries front, pop into your local 2 euro store. They have great little travel kits with several small plastic bottle and containers that you can decant your own stuff into. Dunnes and Pennys have them too. Don't bother buying new stuff on the other side, as you won't be able to bring it back with you when you come home. Waste of money imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

I'm sure you know, but the liquids have nothing to do with Ryanair but airport security.

Yeah, know about the security and liquids but I have found it can vary from airport to airport. I mean mascara? I wouldn't have thought of mascara as a liquid but hey what do I know.

With regards the bag, I would reckon its the same size as my nieces and nephews use for school.

• Advertisement

I knew there was a reason I've been getting the ferry back and forth for all these years. The stress of flying!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

Mince Pie wrote: »
    I knew there was a reason I've been getting the ferry back and forth for all these years. The stress of flying!

Make sure the luggage fits in the 'Judgement' Frame, otherwise they want €50 more!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_WVvU_UEv6yM/THOTWfvXw-I/AAAAAAAAADo/v38ZQ71PyuA/s320/Ryanair+Bag+Check.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭ronjo

Mince Pie wrote: »

I found its only stressful if you let it get to you.
    The rules with Ryanair are very straightforward. If you follow and dont worry about them being annoying then it should be no stress at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

There's no stress at all really if you do your research and planning in the comfort of your own home first. I've been a seasoned traveler for years, and can pack my bags and navigate most airports with my eyes closed. But I can see why it would be stressful for inexperienced travelers.

OP, things like mascara, lip gloss etc are liquids, but they'll be fine as they come in way under the 100 ml size restriction. Regarding the bag, measure it, when it is fully packed. That's the only way to know for sure. My nieces go to school with bags that look big enough to trek the Sahara with.

Grand, I'm not a novice traveller its just that I don't want to check my luggage in for a weekend jolly. Usually when travelling to the UK and back and I just get the ferry as I don't like the weight restrictions. I love my shoes too much. :rolleyes:

I think my experience is slightly altered due to my last experience with Ryanair. My sister is going to give me her small suitcase which she has had no issues with previously.

Thanks for the help. I'll get the oul measuring tape out and see how much I can fit in the zippy bag for the cosmetics. I just can't afford to get stung for extra charges for something I may have overlooked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

^ remember that in total you cant carry more than 1ltr of liquids

From Ryanair.com

Strictly one item of cabin baggage per passenger (excluding infants) weighing up to 10kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm is permitted. (handbag, briefcase, laptop, shop purchases, camera etc.) must be carried in your 1 permitted piece of cabin baggage.

Advertisement