Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meet-up Feedback

Options
  • 19-02-2013 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

I know what yizzer all thinking - not more about the feckin' meet-up! :D

Just thought it would be cool for people to post their feedback on the meet-ups - good or bad as well as any opinions, recommendations etc.

Personally I have come SO far in the last few months and the meet-ups have had a large impact on this. This time last year I would've barely had the ability to mumble the word 'gay' never mind say it out loud! Not to forget that there was no prospect of EVER telling anyone.

Through the meet-ups I have met great people that although they might not know it, have helped me progress immensely. As a result I'm pretty much out (family, good friends and a few others) and I've have never been happier! :D

Besides me, I have received numerous PM's re: meet-up, explaining how others have also benefited greatly - which is fantastic! Anyone who is unsure about attending the meet-ups, hopefully this thread will show its positiveness.

Hon the Boards LGBT! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭kingfisherdove

I can't really say enough in words about this. It has been an eye opening experience meeting all you guys. Such a nice bunch of people; completely normal, and great, and sound, and just refreshing. Stereotypes have definitely been broken. I know we had some turblence in the form of people raising irrelevant issues attempting to put a dampener on this! But this group is amazing. Having experienced ego filled gay meet ups before this completely surprised me. I felt and feel support and belonging to something like never ever before. Made great, no great isn't good enough, INCREDIBLE people that I am proud to call great friends, you know who you are :) And more to come from the future meet ups too I'm sure :)

To the innovator behind this SolderingIorn you are such a legend <3

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

That's great.

I know at times I probably caused a lot of unnecessary stress but I didn't mean to hamper things.

Well done on taking the initiative. I'm absolutely thrilled for you soldering iron that it had been so positive for you. I also get the impression that it has been positive for many others so you should be proud that you have started something quite succesful.

I think and this is just my own personal opinion that verying it so that its not always on a friday might be a good idea.

The other thing is I did suggest something perhaps non alcoholic - there are lgbt groups in Wicklow, Wexford and Kildare and I was thinking of organising a paintball game between 4 or 5 different groups sometime in April or May.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Soldering_Iorn

That's great.

I know at times I probably caused a lot of unnecessary stress but I didn't mean to hamper things.

Well done on taking the initiative. I'm absolutely thrilled for you soldering iron that it had been so positive for you. I also get the impression that it has been positive for many others so you should be proud that you have started something quite succesful.

I think and this is just my own personal opinion that verying it so that its not always on a friday might be a good idea.

The other thing is I did suggest something perhaps non alcoholic - there are lgbt groups in Wicklow, Wexford and Kildare and I was thinking of organising a paintball game between 4 or 5 different groups sometime in April or May.

It's not thanks I want from people, but I'm sure you guys know this. ;)

I agree, and hopefully with this thread we can have an educated discussion on the pro's and con's of certain days etc.

Mango, paintball? - I was looking forward to it... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Tainor

What can I honestly say after the incredible comments above me to make this worthwhile to read for anyone!

The meet ups on the boards have made me a better person from personal reflection, I have met the most amazing people in my life! Whom I am sure will remain my life-long friends! The meetings have showed me another side to the gay scene, for better and worse, and I cannot be more thankful for attending them. I will forever remember these moments in my life...this is how strong I feel about this!

To all the people that have made an amazing and incredible impact on my life from the meetings..you know who you are, I love you guys! <3<3<3

I cannot be any more glad that I had attended the meetings!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

Here's a little feedback: go on a road trip and have one of these meetings in the UK. 'Cause they sound pretty great and I'm sad at missing out. :(

Seriously though, well done on getting a good regular meet-up thing going. It never really happened in this forum since I've been here, which is probably why I tend to dip in and out rather than post regularly. Also it's not everyone has the initiative/courage to suggest these things and get them up and running, so well done Soldering_Iorn. :) Maybe when I eventually return home to my previous existence of boredom and unemployment I'll get a chance to go to one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 normal lad

They have been a tremendous success and I hope they continue.

When it comes to being young and gay I think the most important thing one needs is acceptance and some sort of a support network where the issue can be normalized, and I think the meet ups have achieved that.

Personally I have made some great friends from them and have progressed a lot.
    Comparing my outlook to this time last year things seem a whole lot brighter and I'm glad to say it's because of this forum.

So, tag along people, its worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

I've never been to a meet-up before, and I would like to at some point, the only thing stopping me (apart from not knowing anyone there of course!) is that they always seem scheduled for a Friday at around tea-time. As I work until that time, I would have to go home, get changed and then make my way to Dublin and it could be near 9pm before I'd possibly arrive. I'd also need to sort out a hotel room as I wouldn't want to have to travel for so long back home again especially when drunk. So it is the time and expense that usually stands in the way, but hopefully I will make it one day!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Daith

Paddy C wrote: »
    I've never been to a meet-up before, and I would like to at some point, the only thing stopping me (apart from not knowing anyone there of course!) is that they always seem scheduled for a Friday at around tea-time. As I work until that time, I would have to go home, get changed and then make my way to Dublin and it could be near 9pm before I'd possibly arrive. I'd also need to sort out a hotel room as I wouldn't want to have to travel for so long back home again especially when drunk. So it is the time and expense that usually stands in the way, but hopefully I will make it one day!

Paddy I haven't been to one but if they're anything like other young LGBT ppl arriving at 9pm wouldn't be an issue. I doubt they finish till someone gets thrown out of FAG anyway ;)

And book a cheap hostel!

Congrats on organizing this lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

Yeah it was an amazing meet up. Such great people. It really changed my untrue perception of what it is to be LGBT. I am now in the right place to be comfortable with my sexuality.

I'm indebted to you guys honestly!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭manic mailman

Daith wrote: »
    Paddy I haven't been to one but if they're anything like other young LGBT ppl arriving at 9pm wouldn't be an issue. I doubt they finish till someone gets thrown out of FAG anyway ;)

And book a cheap hostel!

Congrats on organizing this lads.

Yep - I wouldn't worry about not arriving until 9 - the night is still young at that stage!! Sure last time around the numbers were at their highest at around 9 o clock.

Also, there were plenty of people that came by themselves and everyone is very welcoming, etc so it's well worth coming along, if only for "a few" :)

T'is already been said, but it's been really great to meet other like-minded folks at these meet ups....roll on no.3!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lyinghere

This has been a great success.

without going too much into it all again, 2 months ago ish, was a bit stressed about it all because i wanted to tell people but was not sure how to start going about it, some nights not sleeping great to be honest, now, i'm sleeping like a baby mostly cause i'v told a few people. unreal what telling even just a few will do to help you. i would have told people eventually anyhow, but the whole meet up things did speed it all up a bit mostly because of the conversations i had with people i'v met on these two nights out .

the nights out have been good craic, for anyone thinking about going just go for it. theres maybe a minute of "eh hello is this the boards meet up?" and then uncomfortably/unsuccessfully trying to find a chair to sit with this group of people you never met before, once you sit down you'll find everyone is really friendly, no need to be worried if you are. so i would definitely recommend going you've nothing to lose and a lot to gain.

recommendations: i suggested a set day of each month for the meet up like last friday of each month, theres been some objection to this but i genuinly reckon this should be considered as it would be good to have something solid set up for each month and i think it increases the chances that this can keep on going for the long term which i think would add to soldiering irons/normal lads achievements here if some way down the line some lad that felt like i did 2 months ago (or a lot of others on here at some point) logged on here and if the monthly meet up was still sucessfully in operation!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Bobby42

Reading through here and the other threads it sounds like the meet ups are going well so I think I'll pop along to the next one.

I'm bi but not out and I've been hiding away from it along time. As a result I've never even talked to anyone else about it before. So these meets ups might be a new start.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Tainor

Hope everyone had a great night! I had blast last night!!! LOL :D was very fun and drunk night :D Hangover killed me today in the morning!
    We can consider the night a success, since Rothmans did not shift an au fella :D :P

Here song of the night :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12 NPH

Was great to meet up again (even if some names were forgotten!) I had a great night! Thanks to everyone! See you all again soon, I hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Xevkin

I had a really fantastic night guys, this is something that must continue! I've never had mates who are gay (that I'm aware of), not that it actually changes anything as you all seemed just like sound people, but y'know, common interests are good :P ;)

Gonna do my best to attend these in the future (assuming I can find the table... maybe someone shouldn't forget the boards.ie sign :P)

Edit - just for constructive criticism, I do think having a clear sign - even an A4 sheet or reserving some tables - would facilitate things a lot. It can be an intimidating, coming into a bar to meet people you don't know - having to wander around trying to find them is stress that can be easily avoided.

Roll on no.4/phwoar!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

I think booking tables or reserving an area in the pub would be good. Some places don't even charge for it, as long as your all spending money at the bar (which god knows we were!).

Twas a great night all the same! Got to chat to lots of new people, and lots of familiar faces too

• Registered Users Posts: 16 deuve82

grr... all of your comments sounds great, I'm jealous now!! I was studying yesterday, but I'm attending to the next one for sure!! are you talking about 5th April then? :)

Xevkin wrote: »

Edit - just for constructive criticism, I do think having a clear sign - even an A4 sheet or reserving some tables - would facilitate things a lot.
    I did say this....

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Yeah I went but didn't know anyone, felt so alone ran out in tears*

**phew there was no sign, now I can use that excuse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bp1989

Sorry I missed this one guys, I was otherwise, uh, 'entertained', if you get what I mean. Glad it was another successful meet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

bp1989 wrote: »
    I was otherwise, uh, 'entertained', if you get what I mean.

:confused:
    :eek:

bp1989 wrote: »
    Sorry I missed this one guys, I was otherwise, uh, 'entertained', if you get what I mean. Glad it was another successful meet!

To be fair, this could be interpreted in soooooooo many ways!

Bump - this thread can be used for feedback

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement