Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote Desktop W8 to W7

Options
  • 18-02-2013 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

Having difficulty setting up remote desktop from my W8 laptop to my W7 laptop.
    On my W7 laptop I went into My Computer, Right Click on Properties, Remote settings, allow remote connections, apply, exit.
    On W8 laptop, Remote Desktop application, enter the IP address, error message appears.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong or does anyone have a link to walkthrough?

Comments

Do you have any third party software firewalls installed on the Windows 7 machine? If so, you'll need to open port 3389.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

Karsini wrote: »
    Do you have any third party software firewalls installed on the Windows 7 machine? If so, you'll need to open port 3389.

Not that I'm aware of but will double check. I have panda or avg free installed so unless there is a default firewall in either of those.

W7 laptop uses imagine wimax as the provider. I assume opening the port will be the same with their routers e.g. browser, ip address, user name and password.

Any security issues i need to aware of by opening the port?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Sean^DCT4

yeah as Karsini said.

You probably need to do 2 things:
    1. Set a static IP on the network adapter of the machine you want to connect to i.e. set it to something outside of your router's DHCP range something like 192.168.1.2 would be an educated guess. Guide
    2. Open port 3389 on the router and port-forward it to the machine you want to connect to. i.e. 192.168.1.2

-Optional-
    You can subscribe to something like DynDns.org or No-ip.org, register a free account with them and leave their client application running while your machine is on. This will allow you to connect to your machine via remote desktop from anywhere i.e. yourusername.no-ip.org and then your Windows username and password. Oh yeah, you will need to set a Windows password on the account you are trying to remote connect in to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I didn't need to do any of that with two machines on the same domain. Though the username had to "domain\username"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

censuspro wrote: »
    Having difficulty setting up remote desktop from my W8 laptop to my W7 laptop.
    On my W7 laptop I went into My Computer, Right Click on Properties, Remote settings, allow remote connections, apply, exit.
    On W8 laptop, Remote Desktop application, enter the IP address, error message appears.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong or does anyone have a link to walkthrough?

What error message are you getting?

• Advertisement
Advertisement