Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deciding between Business and International Business in UL

Options
  • 18-02-2013 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I've finally decided that I would like to do business in UL, after changing my mind at least fifty times.. But now I'm stuck with decisions again because the new International Business course looks equally as good as the normal business course..

I'm don't really like languages.. I'm not sure if this is because of bad teachers or what, so I doubt I'd take on the language side of International business.

Just from reading about the degrees on the UL site, I think the normal business degree gives me more options career wise & course wise.. There's so many decisions to make with regards to the course in International business, and you don't do every aspect of business in it as you choose some over others (from what I can see).. I'd just hate to think I missed out on an aspect of business that I could have loved because I'd never tried it!!

But the humanities side (Sociology, etc) to International Business is really appealing to me too, and I'd be afraid that I'd miss out on that in the normal business degree.

I think I probably am over-thinking things, as usual, but I would really appreciate if someone had any knowledge/advice with regards to one or both of the courses!

(Oh, and me and some friends are 99.9% set on booking Dromroe.. Is it nice?? I heard that it's really dry and not much happens there, but I'm thinking that may be an exaggeration??)

Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 Neadie Hanafin

Hey i am doing business in UL, currently in first year. Last semester we shared two modules with the international business. One of the majour plus's about the business is the choice involved that you have 5 options to choose from. I don't know much about international business bar that 2 friends of mine dropped out of that course. I think it was both due to not liking the course. And regards to dromroe it is quite quiet not much goes on there but it is a 2 min walk from the concert hall were most of your lectures will be. If you want partys etc go to plassy or kilmurry. Most first years tend to go there plus they are about a grand cheaper then drumroe. Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭RonanM123

Whats UL like as a collage thinking about transfering, night life, socities, campus accomidation etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭inthezone

To be honest, a few months ago I was in the same position as you- it was between Business Studies and International Business, but I've finally decided that I'm going to go with Business Studies, mostly just because International Business hasn't yet been registered with the teaching council and I may end up going into teaching. I just feel like it might be best for me, but it really is up to you. You said the humanities aspect appealed to you in International Business... I'm a little like this too, but I discovered a little while ago that you can pick Sociology as a minor in third year of the Business Studies degree, and that really tipped the balance, so it's a BBS for me :D I'm planning on moving to Dromroe when I go to second year but I think Plassey and Kilmurry really are best when it comes to meeting other first years, so I'll be going to Kilmurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 OM95

Hey i am doing business in UL, currently in first year. Last semester we shared two modules with the international business. One of the majour plus's about the business is the choice involved that you have 5 options to choose from. I don't know much about international business bar that 2 friends of mine dropped out of that course. I think it was both due to not liking the course. And regards to dromroe it is quite quiet not much goes on there but it is a 2 min walk from the concert hall were most of your lectures will be. If you want partys etc go to plassy or kilmurry. Most first years tend to go there plus they are about a grand cheaper then drumroe. Hope that helps.

Yeah it's the choice that really appeals to me in the normal business course. I'm just worried about the accounting because I'm not doing it for the LC and even in JC business, my accounts never fecking balanced!! I wasn't the best at it..

And hearing your friends dropped out isn't great.. I will probably end up doing the normal business to be honest!

Everyone keeps saying Kilmurry or Plassey but the location of Dromroe is so handy.. And having an ensuite isn't too bad either!!

Thanks for your reply :)

inthezone wrote: »
    To be honest, a few months ago I was in the same position as you- it was between Business Studies and International Business, but I've finally decided that I'm going to go with Business Studies, mostly just because International Business hasn't yet been registered with the teaching council and I may end up going into teaching. I just feel like it might be best for me, but it really is up to you. You said the humanities aspect appealed to you in International Business... I'm a little like this too, but I discovered a little while ago that you can pick Sociology as a minor in third year of the Business Studies degree, and that really tipped the balance, so it's a BBS for me :D I'm planning on moving to Dromroe when I go to second year but I think Plassey and Kilmurry really are best when it comes to meeting other first years, so I'll be going to Kilmurry.

Im thinking of teaching as well so the business studies course looks best for me, I'd say.. Oh I didn't realize you could do some Sociology too in the normal one! Yeah I'm definitely starting to settle on the BBS degree! :D

Yeah they sound like the best places for first years, but Dromroe is so close to the college buildings, it's so handy!! And having your own bathroom is nice too haha! Ill just have to make some friends from Kilmurry & Plassey and head over there whenever something's going on I suppose. :D

Thanks for the reply!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭inthezone

OM95 wrote: »
    Im thinking of teaching as well so the business studies course looks best for me, I'd say.. Oh I didn't realize you could do some Sociology too in the normal one! Yeah I'm definitely starting to settle on the BBS degree! :D

Yeah they sound like the best places for first years, but Dromroe is so close to the college buildings, it's so handy!! And having your own bathroom is nice too haha! Ill just have to make some friends from Kilmurry & Plassey and head over there whenever something's going on I suppose. :D

Thanks for the reply!

To be honest, I'd go to Dromroe for first year but my parents don't want to pay a grand extra, at least not until next year :P Although I still do want to be with the majority of first years, but I'll definitely be heading there for second year!

Yeah it's the choice that really appeals to me in the normal business course. I'm just worried about the accounting because I'm not doing it for the LC and even in JC business, my accounts never fecking balanced!! I wasn't the best at it..

And hearing your friends dropped out isn't great.. I will probably end up doing the normal business to be honest!

Everyone keeps saying Kilmurry or Plassey but the location of Dromroe is so handy.. And having an ensuite isn't too bad either!!

Thanks for your reply :)

Don't worry about the accounting it will be grand i was in the exact same postion last year and got a B1 in the exams at christmas, just work hard at it and it will be fine. I am also convinced it is marked dead easy as i know a few who were sure they failed and got C's.:D

RonanM123 wrote: »
    Whats UL like as a collage thinking about transfering, night life, socities, campus accomidation etc.

The night life is great, a new club the library opened last week and there is a designated student night in town from tonight add that to what is already there it is good. Clubs and socs are great i could not imagine college without them. I have made some of my best friends in them. (join rag soc if you do transfer) and campus avvomodation is good but some of it is dear.

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sg12139793

Hi there, I'm currently in first year in International Business and I can say that it is a well designed course.

Above all you want a degree that will stand out from the rest as being different and unique which will enhance your job opportunities. Every year there are about 300 Business Studies graduates from UL alone all with the same qualifications.

With International Business there will be approximately 30 students with different degrees (depending on module choices). This allows for a personally designed degree which will stand to you.

Another key aspect to the course is the study abroad and work placement in third year. Without any doubt this gives you a major advantage when you graduate as you will have invaluable oversees experience and that's before you even get a job! With job searches now a days it's experience and a degree like this that you will need to gain an upper advantage against the usual business degrees.

The humanity modules choices for first year of the course are ok, however from second year onwards they are much better. As the course does depend on you making your own choices this makes it vital that you do a small bit of background research on the module topics.

I never did accounting for my LC either, and I thought I would just do it for semester one but I got an A2 in it at Christmas and it's now one of my favourites.

I would recommend it due to the uniqueness of it and the experience you will have in third year.

Best of luck!

Don't worry about the accounting it will be grand i was in the exact same postion last year and got a B1 in the exams at christmas, just work hard at it and it will be fine. I am also convinced it is marked dead easy as i know a few who were sure they failed and got C's.:D

I'm not against easy marking ha! Yeah I think I'll just TRY accounting anyway! Thanks :)

• Advertisement

sg12139793 wrote: »
    Hi there, I'm currently in first year in International Business and I can say that it is a well designed course.

Above all you want a degree that will stand out from the rest as being different and unique which will enhance your job opportunities. Every year there are about 300 Business Studies graduates from UL alone all with the same qualifications.

With International Business there will be approximately 30 students with different degrees (depending on module choices). This allows for a personally designed degree which will stand to you.

Another key aspect to the course is the study abroad and work placement in third year. Without any doubt this gives you a major advantage when you graduate as you will have invaluable oversees experience and that's before you even get a job! With job searches now a days it's experience and a degree like this that you will need to gain an upper advantage against the usual business degrees.

The humanity modules choices for first year of the course are ok, however from second year onwards they are much better. As the course does depend on you making your own choices this makes it vital that you do a small bit of background research on the module topics.

I never did accounting for my LC either, and I thought I would just do it for semester one but I got an A2 in it at Christmas and it's now one of my favourites.

I would recommend it due to the uniqueness of it and the experience you will have in third year.

Best of luck!

Yeah I suppose the uniqueness of it really is a plus! I definitely want to try accounting anyway, it doesn't seem as daunting as I thought it was!

Did you try out different modules when you first started or did you dive in straight away to the ones you've chosen? How did you make the decision to choose the ones you're doing now? I'm just terrified I'll make the wrong decision!

Thanks a million for the reply.. Oh, and one last thing, me and 2 of my friends just booked Dromroe to stay in.. Is it really as quiet as people say it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sg12139793

Yeah I suppose the uniqueness of it really is a plus! I definitely want to try accounting anyway, it doesn't seem as daunting as I thought it was!

Did you try out different modules when you first started or did you dive in straight away to the ones you've chosen? How did you make the decision to choose the ones you're doing now? I'm just terrified I'll make the wrong decision!

Thanks a million for the reply.. Oh, and one last thing, me and 2 of my friends just booked Dromroe to stay in.. Is it really as quiet as people say it is?

For the first week you can go to all the modules, and during this week all the lectures will go through the course outline which makes up your mind fairly quick. After this I this you can change for up to three weeks in I think, once you fill out a change of module form.

The small class size is also ideal as it proves Kemmy Business School want to put more of an emphasis on this undergraduate course over other business courses they provide.

I'm living in Cappavilla which is great but so too is Dromroe. Kilmurry and Plassey do have more first years but that said all the villages on campus have first years. It won't be too quiet, you will meet the other first years in the first week and there will be plenty of parties!

Advertisement