Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot 307

Options
  • 18-02-2013 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hello All,

Im looking for some advise if possible please.

I currently have a 2002 VW polo Comfortline with 90k miles 1.2 petrol, not great body work booked to go into the NCT tomorrow (after spending €780 to get it NCT ready) and I dont think she shall be passing despite what my mechanic says. I would guess its going to cost another €1000 to be perfect again.

So I took a drive last wednesday looking for other options. My local garage offered me a 2003 Peugeot 307 also with 90k miles 1.4 petrol with €1000 cash their way. A new NCT and service in the price also.

But since then, I have been reading some bad things about the 307, so what I would love to know is, Is this a good idea to go with the 307? or should I put the money into my current car in the hopes it does fix it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Hi Justin I find the diesel pugs are good but the car's electrics and that can give a lot of trouble.

You would want to be getting something with lower mileage for starters.

You should put the car through see what it needs and if needs a huge amount more spent on then get rid.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,407 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I wouldn't bother if you don't like spending lots of money on keeping cars on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Run a mile OP. Take your chances with the Polo in the NCT, it might pleasantly surprise you. No point doing something rash and ending up worse off.
    That model Polo is a better car than the 307 (that's not saying much by the way ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 36 hare

Back axle dodgy on 307s .

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭heffoo

I have a 2002 307 1.4 102kms on the clock, havent had any problems with it great on petrol better than our 1.2 2005 polo, beauty to drive, over all good car and i have had passats and golfs lancer the lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

hare wrote: »
    No it's not. These have a torsion beam semi independent rear suspension, there is no bearings or axle to wear as it's basically all just one piece. It's the 306 your thinking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

hare wrote: »

No they aren't. The 307 doesn't use the same design as the troublesome 206/306 back axle.

Edit: beaten to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

Put the Polo through the test first before you start thinking of changing. You could be lucky with the 307 but you have a better chance of being lucky with the Polo.

The 307 is lovely inside but underneath there's lots of cheap plastic bits and borderline electrics. They can be good if minded properly but most Irish s/h models are not minded properly. We have an '04 307HDi with 140k miles in the family fleet so I can confirm they are OK when minded.

However I would think you are better off with the Polo.

Advertisement