Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of train journey Galway - Cork

Options
  • 18-02-2013 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31,827 ✭✭✭✭

The Irish Rail website is incredibly frustrating. All I want to know is what it costs to go from Galway to Cork on the train. A single journey, not a return journey.

Can anyone help?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

All I get is a page telling me there are no online tickets available.

The website doesn't quote student fares either. I was trying to book a journey earlier.

Its piss poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Contact Galway Station and they can confirm the booking office price; their details are here

http://www.irishrail.ie/cat_stations_detail.jsp

The online booking system won't allow you to price or book it as Galway-Limerick trains currently have no seat reservation system in place. It will however let you book singles from Galway-Dublin and Dublin-Cork; that way you can get it at less than €40, booking fee included as assuming you book 3 days ahead.

Lapin wrote: »
    All I get is a page telling me there are no online tickets available.

The website doesn't quote student fares either. I was trying to book a journey earlier.

Its piss poor.

It does; ticket details below gives you child and student rates for your respective tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Until Irish Rail gets it's act together these guys are the only show in town

http://www.railusers.ie/passenger_info/fare_calc_2013.php?station_from=CORK&station_to=GALWY&stage1=Submit

• Registered Users Posts: 31,827 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Until Irish Rail gets it's act together these guys are the only show in town

http://www.railusers.ie/passenger_info/fare_calc_2013.php?station_from=CORK&station_to=GALWY&stage1=Submit

€56!!!!! :eek:

CityLink will be getting my custom in that case. Such a shame as comfort on trains far exceeds the bus.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

The online booking system won't allow you to price or book it as Galway-Limerick trains currently have no seat reservation system in place. It will however let you book singles from Galway-Dublin and Dublin-Cork; that way you can get it at less than €40, booking fee included as assuming you book 3 days ahead.

You see thats the piss poor bit I was on about.
    I can buy a train ticket from London to The Hague in one booking.
    This involves changing trains twice and passing through 4 countries.

But I can't buy a ticket from Galway to Limerick.

It does; ticket details below gives you child and student rates for your respective tickets.

Cheers, missed that earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Mars Bar wrote: »
    €56!!!!! :eek:

CityLink will be getting my custom in that case. Such a shame as comfort on trains far exceeds the bus.

Bus is much more convenient in any case, you'd be looking at a minimum of two changes to get from Galway to Cork, possibly even 3 depending on timing. at least with the bus it's just the 1 at the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

There are 12 buses each way every day on the 51 route with a time of 4 hours 20 minutes for Galway-Cork but this is reduced to 3 hours 25 minutes when the X51 service is used between Galway and Limerick and route 51 used Limerick-Cork.
    Service 51
    Fare Discounted Fare
    18.00 17.10 : Adult Single
    28.00 26.60 : Adult Rtn
    28.00 26.60 : Adult Day Rtn
    15.50 14.72 : Child Single
    21.00 19.95 : Child Return
    21.00 19.95 : Child Day Rtn
    16.00 15.20 : Student Single
    24.00 22.80 : Student Rtn
    28.00 26.60 : Adult MW Rtn
    21.00 19.95 : Child MW Rtn
    56.00 53.20 : Family Rtn

• Registered Users Posts: 31,827 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Ah yeah I know about the buses as I've done that before but it's a bloody long journey in such a tight space.

I thought that with it being only a single journey, I could treat myself to the train but now it's looking like I'll need to take the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Ring them instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Bus is much more convenient in any case, you'd be looking at a minimum of two changes to get from Galway to Cork, possibly even 3 depending on timing. at least with the bus it's just the 1 at the most.
    wrong,
    since the new timetable there are trains to/from Galway which goto Limerick junction meaning only 1 change for Cork to/from Galway.
    http://www.irishrail.ie/media/11-GalwayLimerickCorkTralee1.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

BTW, next weekend theres works on the line so bus transfers from Galway to Athenry.
    http://www.irishrail.ie/media/A5BookletHeuston-GalwayT.T1.pdf

Lapin wrote: »
    You see thats the piss poor bit I was on about.
    I can buy a train ticket from London to The Hague in one booking.
    This involves changing trains twice and passing through 4 countries.

But I can't buy a ticket from Galway to Limerick.

It's more the fact that the trains on the Limerick-Galway service are commuter stock and thus don't have seat reservation in place than anything else. I understand that this situation might change in the near future but for now it's counter/TVM sales only on that line.

wrong,
    since the new timetable there are trains to/from Galway which goto Limerick junction meaning only 1 change for Cork to/from Galway.
    http://www.irishrail.ie/media/11-GalwayLimerickCorkTralee1.pdf
    There are only two possible trains a day where you can travel galway-cork with one change. They are both over 4hours and cost a staggering amount compared to the cheaper and much faster and much more frequent bus services.

Also as wiith most innovations on our railways there is no easy connections on a sunday. Must be the cost of staff overtime.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    There are only two possible trains a day where you can travel galway-cork with one change. They are both over 4hours and cost a staggering amount compared to the cheaper and much faster and much more frequent bus services.

Also as wiith most innovations on our railways there is no easy connections on a sunday. Must be the cost of staff overtime.

you were doing well there foggy but you just couldnt help the misinformed dig at the end could you.

It is an excuse bandied about by irish rail for not having sunday services on other little used lines. Crossing Gatekeepers dont work free on sundays and neither do other staff!

It is an excuse bandied about by irish rail for not having sunday services on other little used lines. Crossing Gatekeepers dont work free on sundays and neither do other staff!

whats the point of running a train if its not being used? Staff would get rosterd on for the sunday as part of the working week if needed. You would be doing good if you found someone in irish rail getting extra for working the sunday. Those days are long gone. I still dont understand how this thread has got anything to do with sunday work anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

this tread is a good example of why Irish Rail is doomed.....

this tread is a good example of why Irish Rail is doomed.....
    "Irish Rail" is about as toxic a brand as Anglo Irish Bank was and extortionate fares like €56 single do nothing to help when compared with €18 for a faster, quieter, far more frequent and more comfortable coach.

if you start paying your fares then maybe they will become cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Hilly Bill wrote: »

Such desperation.:rolleyes:

the villa in wexford has to be paid for somehow :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Hilly Bill wrote: »

Hilly Bill is taking a break for this post -- banned for a week for personal abuse. Please do not respond to his post or this post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Spiral2

"Irish Rail" is about as toxic a brand as Anglo Irish Bank was and extortionate fares like €56 single do nothing to help when compared with €18 for a faster, quieter, far more frequent and more comfortable coach.

The fare disparities are shocking. Truly shocking.

But the reason private coaches are quieter is the same reason that private hospitals can provide better services and are calmer:

They don't have to provide services to the great unwashed.

GoBe and Aircoach don't have to provide travel to a dude or dudess sporting a travel pass skulling Dutch Gold whilst roaring at the top of their heads. The Beacon or the Bons don't have to deal with the detritus caused by a night's drinking and fighting.

The public system however has to accept all those folk who wouldn't be allowed on paid-for services.

Spiral2 wrote: »
    The fare disparities are shocking. Truly shocking.

But the reason private coaches are quieter is the same reason that private hospitals can provide better services and are calmer:

They don't have to provide services to the great unwashed.

GoBe and Aircoach don't have to provide travel to a dude or dudess sporting a travel pass skulling Dutch Gold whilst roaring at the top of their heads. The Beacon or the Bons don't have to deal with the detritus caused by a night's drinking and fighting.

The public system however has to accept all those folk who wouldn't be allowed on paid-for services.
    In this case the price difference is between two branches of the same company(C.I.E) with Bus Éireann being almost €40 cheaper than Irish Rail.

There was no private bus or anything else mentioned so the rant about the great unwashed free pass holders skulling dutch gold are irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Contact Galway Station and they can confirm the booking office price; their details are here

http://www.irishrail.ie/cat_stations_detail.jsp

it's odd that you can't book Galway to Limerick. I had no trouble booking Mallow to Galway via the WRC (next friday) mind you €45.50 single is a bit saucy....

Advertisement