Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wedding reception-SERIOUS HELP NEEDED!!

Options
  • 18-02-2013 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi guys.

If anyone could help me I would be beyond grateful. In a nutshell, got engaged a few months ago. Originally thought about going abroad then that got met with opposition from people around us. Then thought about just doing a bar-b-q wedding- met with opposition again, people thought it looked cheap even though to be honest the cost was pretty similar to a fancy sit down meal.

So now i'm in the predicament where I think Im best compromising a bit and going with perhaps a sit down style thing. I dont want to compromise completely though so would love a venue thats a bit bohemian, where i could have maybe those cute birdcage things on the tables, or mis-matched chairs, all a bit kath kidson-y if you know what I mean?! Def dont want to spend more than 70e head all in max, and we have 150 guests approx. This whole marriage malark is turning into such a headache!!

I did see a place on dont tell the bride last year where the bride went to as the place she would pick which was all little mismatched china and cute bunting, and colouredy chairs, but Im not sure where it was? so if anyone knows.....

Honestly, I would be so grateful for any help!

R x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ok... the second part of your email seems to be looking for a wedding stylist. Pearl and godiva do the china and bunting etc.

http://pearlandgodiva.com/
    Their brochure with teacups is here:
    http://issuu.com/pearlandgodiva/docs/pearlandgodiva?mode=window&pageNumber=1

It's not cheap to hire this stuff though! That's the cost advantage of a hotel wedding... you don't have to hire all the ware etc seperately.

The first questions about a venue, have you a part of the country in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

op tell who every oppsoes what you want to do to F**K OFF. Its your day you do what you want and ignore anybody ignorant enough to think you should be doing what pleases them.

if they arent happy then they dont have to go simple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

rnimhuir wrote: »
    Hi guys.

If anyone could help me I would be beyond grateful. In a nutshell, got engaged a few months ago. Originally thought about going abroad then that got met with opposition from people around us. Then thought about just doing a bar-b-q wedding- met with opposition again, people thought it looked cheap even though to be honest the cost was pretty similar to a fancy sit down meal.

So now i'm in the predicament where I think Im best compromising a bit and going with perhaps a sit down style thing. I dont want to compromise completely though so would love a venue thats a bit bohemian, where i could have maybe those cute birdcage things on the tables, or mis-matched chairs, all a bit kath kidson-y if you know what I mean?! Def dont want to spend more than 70e head all in max, and we have 150 guests approx. This whole marriage malark is turning into such a headache!!

I did see a place on dont tell the bride last year where the bride went to as the place she would pick which was all little mismatched china and cute bunting, and colouredy chairs, but Im not sure where it was? so if anyone knows.....

Honestly, I would be so grateful for any help!

R x

It's the wedding that's causing the headache here, and the fact that you are letting people stick their oars in. I would be having none of it!! Don't tell anyone anything, do what you and your partner want, and when you have it all booked, TELL people what you have planned. It baffles me why people feel they have the right to stick their noses in to a wedding that they are not involved in. Unless they are the bride or groom, then it is none of their business!

If you fancy the bunting/ vintage cup thing, then you could see if any wedding forums have guests selling their collections second hand. I know so many girls who have had those themes over the last 8 months or so, so there must be some going around on the cheap. I also know a girl who is borrowing her granny's collection of cups and saucers. Car boot sales, charity shops and sales of work may be your next bet. And youtube is a great resource for learning how to make the bunting and stuff yourself. If you're looking to have all this stuff on a budget, then DIY is your best bet!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Annabananna

Hey I got married four years ago and i went down the route of the bbq style wedding what we did was had just family at the wedding ceremony and then had a family meal afterwards at 65e a head then we had 200 people come in at 7.30pm for the bbq and we had a dj instead of a band who played from 7.30 to 2am. The bbq was 18.50 per person and everyone still say how it was the best wedding they were at.

We got a lot of hassle from people saying ah that not a proper wedding we said its our day and we dont have the money to have the big wedding.

The whole wedding cost 9500eur

Re the vintage cups and saucers go to your local charity shops as they always have them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭King Krib

D3PO wrote: »
    op tell who every oppsoes what you want to do to F**K OFF. Its your day you do what you want and ignore anybody ignorant enough to think you should be doing what pleases them.

if they arent happy then they dont have to go simple
    Well said!!!! Here here!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ck83

I have exactly the same plans as outlined by someone else - few posts back- small wedding, family meal, big party in the evening - nice drinks reception, decent finger/BBQ food (December and BBQ doesn't really mix well)- being met with opposition "they'll think you only want presents, that's why you're asking them, blah blah"- my answer was, "if they think that, they don't know me well enough for me to care".
    I hate hate hate the idea of sitting up on a fricking stage with everyone looking at me eating my dinner, and watching my friends having the Craic, not able to join in!! I'm going to try plough on with what I want- must get skates on!
    Do what you're happiest with. It would be a shame to regret that. And btw, I just looked it up. That couple on dttb were from Galway- the venue is called "the three towers", in kylebrack west, loughrea co Galway- just in case you still want to know!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

For those numbers I would consider ballybeg house or maybe trudder lodge, anglers rest or Glebe house. They seem to have the shabby chic thing going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 rnimhuir

Thanks guys you're all very good. i have to laugh- when i read the messages about people poking their noses in my boyfriend shouted "YES, now see, I told you that was what was happening". Hahaha! at least its not just us getting abused on the upside. will def look up the venues ye suggested, thanks a million especially for finding the dont tell the bride one- that could be perfect!
    x

• Registered Users Posts: 9 rnimhuir

sugar. No i looked up that place and its not the same DTTB i was thinking of- this one was one the bride said would be her perfect venue but the guy didnt pick it. It seemed to maybe be a marquee but the chairs were all painted different colours and it had loads of that lovely bunting around the place. i thought it might have been somewhere down south/ east direction but not sure. Thanks anayway. will probably never find it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ck83

rnimhuir wrote: »
    sugar. No i looked up that place and its not the same DTTB i was thinking of- this one was one the bride said would be her perfect venue but the guy didnt pick it. It seemed to maybe be a marquee but the chairs were all painted different colours and it had loads of that lovely bunting around the place. i thought it might have been somewhere down south/ east direction but not sure. Thanks anayway. will probably never find it!!

Oh dear! I thought it was too easy to be true!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 JJonze

I'm nearly sure that's Horetown House in Wexford that was used in that episode of DTTB. Never been myself but it looked gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭Gatica

there's nothing wrong with wanting a BBQ or an away wedding. It's been done plenty and lots of people on these forum have said how much they've enjoyed the non-standard weddings of buffet or BBQ style.

I know it's harder said than done to tell your family to butt out when you're the one doing it. You don't have to be mean about it, but you could just stop discussing it with them entirely and when they ask smile and say it's under control. Just be more secretive and make the plans with your fiance.
    When you're ready to share your ready-booked info and send the invitations, then they'll know what you went for and it will be too late... though they'll probably still try to give the 5 cent and give out.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭deskgirl

I def think the DTTB one was Horetown House - looks fab. Ballybeg is also amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Bettybluebottle

I think it was Franc's DIY Brides the first episode that had the Vintage themed wedding that had the bunting & Kath Kidson etc. not dttb

I may be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 21 OKvintage

My sister had a bbq style wedding in Beaufield Mews last year and it was an out and out success with one and all - and there some very traditional guests at her wedding!! She wanted a civil ceremony but went for church to keep his mam happy and was so glad she didnt compromise on her reception!! Best of luck!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Are you in Dublin? How about the Angler's Rest on the Strawberry Beds?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rabbit.84

I knew I would be met with similar problems when booking my wedding so we only told the awkward people after I had it booked. I am having bbq/buffet at Kippure Estate in Wicklow. My family think its a great idea. His mother thinks theres no way we can invite people for a bbq! if they dont want to come they dont have to! Also just having a very small civil ceremony as we are not religious so soon to be MIL is trying to get us to do a blessing. So my advice is to stop talking to other people about it for now. book the venue/band/ceremony you want. And then tell people after its all booked!! It worked out much better because when anyone said 'are you sure you should do that' the response was 'too late its booked!' :)

There will still be other things they will find to annoy you about though! I don't want a hen night and my sister keeps saying well why dont you just have a meal instead.. and then after the meal we can do cocktail making class.. !! Tried to explain to her that is a hen night!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 OKvintage

I think Kippure Estate looks fantastic!! Seriously considered it myself but OH really wanted Dublin City Centre so fair enough eh??
    He's allowed SOME decisions!

Advertisement