Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Book Depository 24 hour sale - 21st Feb

Options
  • 18-02-2013 1:21pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just got an email to say the next 24 hour sale will take place on Thursday 21st Feb starting at 12 noon GMT. I first heard of it here in the last one pre-Christmas so I thought I'd post this up here too.
    Our 24-hour sale is back and it's bigger than ever. We now have 100 books on offer over 25 hours. A new bargain will be up every 15 minutes instead of one per an hour. Oh yes, it's true.
    Tweet #100booksale

More info here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Clap your handsay yeah

Starting this Thursday 21st the book depository are having a sale on a 100 books over a 25 hour period, one every 15 minutes check out this link for more info, maybe pick up the coffee maker in Aldi and have a go for all 100 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Clap your handsay yeah

This just started with the first offer just so you know :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Flip, just missed out on that thanks to not having my payment details saved and then faffing around looking for Paypal option...ah well.

It was Salman Rushdie's 'Luka' and 'Fire of Life' in one book for €6.94.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

fatcheese gives 4.5% rebate.

for those who doubt it is still in use.

I got 30€ transferred to my bank this week and another 8.81 available to withdraw today:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Just noticed the price on the current book has gone down since it went live - not sure if that was a mistake at the start €10.01, now €8.68 or if they are adding extra discount if it's not moving fast enough. It's MasterChef EveryDay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

36376352.png

you gotta be quick getting the books!! 77 seconds to sell out 100 books

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

sgarvan wrote: »
    36376352.png

you gotta be quick getting the books!! 77 seconds to sell out 100 books

The Google Book went before the clock had even changed:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

A book called Blind Descent is on sale now for 4.34

Here's the summary;)
    The deepest cave on earth was a prize that had remained unclaimed for centuries, long after every other ultimate discovery had been made. This is the story of the men and women who risked everything to find it, earning their place in history beside the likes of Peary, Amundsen, Hillary, and Armstrong. In 2004, two great scientist-explorers attempted to find the bottom of the world. Bold, American Bill Stone was committed to the vast Cheve Cave, located in southern Mexico and deadly even by supercave standards. On the other side of the globe, legendary Ukrainian explorer Alexander Klimchouk - Stone's opposite in temperament and style - had targeted Krubera, a freezing nightmare of a supercave in the Republic of Georgia. `Blind Descent` explores both the brightest and darkest aspects of the timeless human urge to discover - to be first. It is also a thrilling epic about a pursuit that makes even extreme mountaineering and ocean exploration pale by comparison. These supercavers spent months in multiple camps almost two vertical miles deep and many more miles from their caves' exits. They had to contend with thousand-foot drops, deadly flooded tunnels, raging whitewater rivers, monstrous waterfalls, mile-long belly crawls, and much more. Perhaps even worse were the psychological horrors produced by weeks plunged into absolute, perpetual darkness, beyond all hope of rescue, including a particularly insidious derangement called `The Rapture`. `Blind Descent` is a testament to human survival and endurance - and to two extraordinary men whose relentless pursuit of greatness led them to heights of triumph and depths of tragedy neither could have imagined.

It actually sounds pretty kickass:O

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Decline of the English Murder
    Contains essays that explore the English love of reading about a good murder in the papers (and lament the passing of the heyday of the 'perfect' murder involving class, sex and poisoning). This book also unfolds the author's views on things from boys' weeklies to naughty seaside postcards.

TLDR= Grumpy man complaining:P

Sounds kind of odd though.

Edit: Jesus it sold out in under a minute:O

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Are people buying for the sake of getting a supposed deal? even if they don't want the book? 100 books ain't much for worldwide audience

• Advertisement

9780857082046.jpg
    What You Need to Know About Starting a Business (Paperback)
    by Kevin Duncan

18 euro on Easons !

This "sale" is balls

How can 100 books be sold out in less than 15 seconds as what happened with the 14.45 book.

load of crap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

I know these tend to be crap but just in case anyone wants to take a look, this is on again today since midday.

I still haven't read the one book I bought last time! :D But I'll take a look, thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Le Snob: Shoes (Hardback) Linda O'Keefe

€4.56 Save €6.00 56% off RRP €10.40 Sorry, this item is now sold out!

ye wha

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

I've bought several large format hardback books from Amazon over the years and all have been delivered to me in perfect condition.

I bought one last year from Book Depository, because there was a slight saving over Amazon and the book had a "ding" on the top right corner resulting in the pages being slightly warped through about a quarter of the book. The shipping packaging seemed intact. Left it under weight for a while, which helped but it's not perfect.

I spoke to an author who has visited publishing houses and book distributors and he tells me that that type of damage usually occurs on the dispatch line, prior to final packaging, rather than in transit

If I pay E50-E80 for a recently published first edition book, that might be quite valuable, in time, I expect absolute mint condition.

Maybe i was unlucky with Book Depository, or maybe they palm off stuff that Amazon would not sell under their own name. I think the companies are linked.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

A hello kitty book yesterday, another one today...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭sok2005

Think it's over now.

Lissavane wrote: »
    I've bought several large format hardback books from Amazon over the years and all have been delivered to me in perfect condition.

I bought one last year from Book Depository, because there was a slight saving over Amazon and the book had a "ding" on the top right corner resulting in the pages being slightly warped through about a quarter of the book. The shipping packaging seemed intact. Left it under weight for a while, which helped but it's not perfect.

I spoke to an author who has visited publishing houses and book distributors and he tells me that that type of damage usually occurs on the dispatch line, prior to final packaging, rather than in transit

If I pay E50-E80 for a recently published first edition book, that might be quite valuable, in time, I expect absolute mint condition.

Maybe i was unlucky with Book Depository, or maybe they palm off stuff that Amazon would not sell under their own name. I think the companies are linked.

Yes I'd say unlucky.

Amazon did purchase Book Depository last year or 2011.

I've purchased from BD for the last 4 years and I've yet to encounter a problem.

What did BD say when you contacted them to advise of your problem/unhappiness ???

Advertisement