Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squash training/drills.

Options
  • 18-02-2013 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

Just wondered were would be a good place to look up things such as,
    drills with a partner on the court with ball and racket
    solo drills with a racket and ball on court
    drills solo for foot work etc on court
    exercises for the gym to improve my squash
    things to improve fitness for squash besides just playing squash

I'm in just finishing up playing my first Saturday league, I practice maybe 2 to 3 hrs a week on court and lift weights for strength 4hrs a week in the gym were I also stretch for maybe 10 15 mins after in gym. I want to switch to training in the gym to stuff to help my squash. I'd like to do my best to improve over the summer for next season.
    Are there any leagues or competitions over the summer I could enter?
    I could do with more match practice.
    I'm not in a club, I just play my squash in a pay and play type way. A few of us set up a team to play out of the spawell courts in the Saturday leagues. I get to join in with coaching session with Della Salle sometime and try go work on whatever I'm show to be doing wrong there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

there are loads of vids on you tube with various drills and excerises and some good books as well
    http://www.amazon.com/Squash-Success-Edition-Activity-Series/dp/0736080015/ref=pd_sim_b_3

i got that book and found it good. if you have acess to some coaching it should really help.

at the end of the day keep it simple. in my humble opinion the single most important thing to practice is straight drives on both forehand and backhand. if you can exacute this shot well and play it as often as possible you will win more then you lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

I get a little coaching, going tonight for some. It's a team coaching season, I would like to try do this once a week, and either have a match and a practice once a week as well or practice twice a week if no matches.
    I've gone a get times on my own now with the mp3 player, and I did a lot of straight drives on both sides, and yep it's great then in a match to be that little bit better at them already, and you get the feeling of, oh I know this shot just before you hit it. I'd really like to come back next Saturday League season and win more then I did this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

As the saying goes ''as we practice, so we play'' and this certainly holds true when it comes to squash.

After a few years knocking about at a very low level I started taking it seriously about 2 years ago. Since then I have gone from a line 6 player to a line 2 player and im in my late thirties.

Fitness is important but really plenty of practice is the key. Concentrate on drives and then move on to drops and for me improving my movement made a massive difference. To do this you need to spend time on ghosting drills.

There is is plenty info on line about ghosting and there are ghosting apps you can get for iphones etc. ghosting drills will also improve your fitness. In fact 20 mins of ghosting is a serious workout.

If you are training whilst listening to music on an mp3 player I would advise you stop. When training, you need to concentrate totally on every sho,t it needs to be focused and intense to get the best out of it.

Beware squash is highly addictive the more you play the more you want to play. Soon it starts to take over your life!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

I'm a bit the same, played friends and family just since I was about 16 or 17, now mid 30s playing in my first league really enjoying it overall, I've played or practiced with more people this last 5 months then probably the previous 15 yrs. I'm just back from the gym were I did some lunges, one legged squats, foot work drills and skipping. I ordered that book you suggested too.
    I'm not a member of a club though, I just pay and play. So there might not be many comps for me to play during the off season?

Advertisement