Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

red carpet for church

Options
  • 18-02-2013 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm getting married next year. We are currently making plans and doing out a budget. We are trying to keep to a very tight budget and have decided to have a very small wedding as a result. I still want the usual things, proper dress, wedding meal, party etc., but am trying to cut out the things that don't really matter / things that people don't really notice.

So my question is, I know that a red carpet for the church seems to be something that could be cut easily, but my mam said that it is mostly in case it is raining on the wedding day - so that the train of the dress doesn't get ruined by a dirty wet aisle after everyone has walked on it.

What do you all think? It costs about €150 - money that would be better spent elsewhere, but at the same time, I don't want my dress ruined before the day even begins!

Advice welcome! Thanks all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Why get a carpet? I'd just use a paper aisle runner instead. Get a couple of usher to roll the runner down just before you walk in.

They're usual in the US, so I'd have a look at a couple of sites there. For example this costs only $22 or E16, plus shipping of course. It'll still be much cheaper than spending E150.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Is the church charging extra for that? I'm surprised by that.

Are you getting a proper wedding car? if so, ask them as a lot of them include the carpet (well its a few metres long, not a full carpet up the aisle, but enough to get you from car to door of the church).

Or you could go into Des Kelly or whoever and get a reminant - and you might even be able to get a colour to match your bridesmaids! Just get enough of a length from the car to the door of the church.

You won't need it along the length of the church aisle as the church aisle will be nice enough without it - and it would cost a bomb!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Winnie21

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it! I doubt the church would supply it but haven't asked. I wasn't aware that churches ever supply red carpets. Do they? Not too sure about the cars yet really as that's another thing we figure we could leave out and just stick ribbons on family cars. I was thinking that if it was a wet day, I might need a carpet to cover the entrance and the aisle ... but I really don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭deskgirl

But if it's raining surely the carpet would be in the rain outside the church anyway and therefore also wet?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

i have never seen or remember seeing a red carpet at a church wedding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Moonbeam wrote: »
    i have never seen or remember seeing a red carpet at a church wedding.
    This. I'm working at weddings for nearly 20 year and can tell you I could count on one hand the amount of times I've seen a red carpet put in for the church.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

I have never seen it inside...I have seen the carpet from the car to the entrance of the church and it is only rolled out when the bride arrives (so won't be wet/mucky).

If its a wet day and you have a carpet up the aisle of the church, by the time the guests all walk on it, the first few yards will be scruffy and will look pretty dire.

Churches all have those rubber anti slip mats when you walk in. There is no need for a carpet on the church aisle.
    If you want one from the car to the door of the church that's different - as I said I have seen that a good few times and it is usually provided by the car hire crowd. If you don't hire a car, get an off cut from a carpet place a couple of meters in a red or burgandy colour, or a colour to match your colour scheme, have someone on hand to roll it out just as you arrive and bob's yer uncle!

Advertisement