Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP g series overheating

Options
  • 18-02-2013 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Hi, purchased a hp g series from PC World a good year ago. Had a different hp before (dv6) which lasted for 2 years before overheating killed it. This one I have now started heating up a lot within 3 months after getting it but was doing a masters so couldn't afford to have it sent away etc. I actually questioned the salesman whether it could have potential overheating problems and of course he lied through his a***.
    In the last couple of months I hadn't noticed it cutting out, but most times I turn it on I get a warning fan isn't working but laptop always works ok. However a few days ago I saw it cut out and then refused to turn on for a while, I assume this was caused by by overheating as was feeling the hottest i've ever seen thus far.

I'm going to open it for dust etc at the weekend now but I assuming that isn't much to do with the problem. Don't think I have receipt for it but assuming year's warranty is all it had which is no good now.

Any advice from people who have experienced this problem as I know for a fact there are plenty of you guys out there.

Never getting one of these heaps of junk ever again by the way!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,917 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Hopefully now you understand going cheap is cheap. You went from the dv series down to G. You can surely see they have poorer build quality. I suggest a chillmat.

Its hard to prove months later a sales person lied to you, and that's going to be irrelevant at this point. Your warranty probably won't cover overheating unless the machine is actually shutting down while under load, or experiencing true technical fault and not simply an uncomfortable warmth. This seems like the case though. Go back to the shop and ask for a sales record. They don't have to have it on file but usually do if you have some kind of loyalty card or membership there.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

Overheal wrote: »
    Hopefully now you understand going cheap is cheap. You went from the dv series down to G. You can surely see they have poorer build quality. I suggest a chillmat.

Its hard to prove months later a sales person lied to you, and that's going to be irrelevant at this point. Your warranty probably won't cover overheating unless the machine is actually shutting down while under load, or experiencing true technical fault and not simply an uncomfortable warmth. This seems like the case though. Go back to the shop and ask for a sales record. They don't have to have it on file but usually do if you have some kind of loyalty card or membership there.

It is shutting down now. I was a student at the time so had to go cheap when last one died

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭johneire31

Open it, clean fan out properly, get some thermal paste and redo the heat sink and it will be fine, I have done loads of G model and same thing all the time.

Getting to the fan will mean completely gutting the laptop, alot of connections to undo and totally removing the motherboard and finally unscrewing the fan and heatsink assembly from the board and then doing the above. Should take you less than an hour if your fairly comfortable at this stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

TheCoolWay wrote: »
    ... but most times I turn it on I get a warning fan isn't working but laptop always works ok. ....

???

BostonB wrote: »
    ???

Yes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Dey were Sooted

TheCoolWay wrote: »
    Yes?

have to mention that right now you username is a tad ironic - brought a smile to my face anyways :)

i think what BostonB might be getting at is ....does your fan work when the computer is on, even when you "get a warning fan isn't working but laptop always works ok."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

1. The fan cools the computer.
    2. Fan error (assume fan not working)
    3. Laptop overheating

If the fan isn't working, or not working properly, the laptop isn't going to work properly. You don't ignore a fan not working. At best the whole thing will slow down. At worse you'll damage the motherboard and the laptop will be a write off.

Fan break. It happens. They are cheap to buy. However it may take a bit of work to get at it to replace it. if you are constantly having problem with different machines overheating, then the one common factor is the user. They might be doing something to effect the heating. Using it in dusty environment, leaving it running flat out for long periods. Or blocking the fan. This might be using the laptop on a bed, sofa or cushion, where then vents get blocked. All of these and other issues cause the fan to work overtime to and eventually wears out prematurely . Or you could just be unlucky and simply got a faulty fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Is the fan actually working? Some HP laptops had a BIOS issue that would give out the "fan not working" message for no reason; If the fan is in fact working properly, check if there's a BIOS update for your specific model on the HP website. Otherwise, you need it serviced as the fan is vital to its correct operation.

If the fan works, get a can of compressed air (duster) and clean the air vents, you'll be surprised at the amount of dust you'll see coming out the other side. I occasionally have dust issues with my own laptop, a DV7, that cause it to go into thermal throttling - a thorough dusting and everything gets back into shape.

Last but not least, some HP models (like mine) have the air intake at the bottom; Sometimes the clearance the little rubber stands leave, even on an hard and smooth surface, is not enough; Try to raise the laptop on a small object so that the space underneath it is increased.

Thanks all. Pretty sure fan isn't working at all. Have only noticed this by observation over last few days

• Registered Users Posts: 81,917 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Repairable, and EU Warranty law sides in your favor, if the laptop is less that two years old HP should still cover the repair

• Advertisement
Advertisement