Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hidden outdoor CCTV

Options
  • 18-02-2013 3:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi all, i was wondering if anything like this exists or would it be possible to make up, im looking to install cctv for outside a house, problem is that it is a cottage on a main road and if the kids or vandals seen it they would smash it, i was thinking about installing a dummy bell box with the cctv installed inside it, the camera cant be too obvious though as the box will only be about 4 metres from the ground. Most bell boxes come with coloured plastic lens were the led normally flashes, would this coloured glass have a major issue with the picture quality if a camera was installed behind it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

You can get a pcb cam that will fit inside a standard light switch or obo box.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭gazelec

Cheers jnealon, im just after ordering one up, ill see if i can disguise it in an obo box or in a alarm dummy box for the extra visual deterant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

IMO most thieves will break into a house via the back of the house rather than the front, so therefore a CCTV might be better placed in teh back garden.

also, Ive recently come across these Tenvis Cameras. They are cheap and work by sending a picture to your email if someone walks in front of the camera - stick one in your kitchen and living room or bedroom and you would have your whole house covered - no need for expensive CCTV systems or alarm systems. They can be set-up so that even if you are on holiday a picture can be sent straight to your email and then all you have to do is phone the Guards.

www.tenvis.com

Thanks iba, the problem we are having is anti social behaviour on the street with damage being caused to houses and cars. Those tenvis cameras are pretty cool though, just not what im looking for at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭LoveCoke

Jnealon wrote: »
    You can get a pcb cam that will fit inside a standard light switch or obo box.
    What is pcb and obo please

• Advertisement

A PCB is just a small camera on a printed circuit board (nothing fancy just a cheap small camera). I bought one on ebay for €15 from Singapore, probably rubbish but for that price you cant go wrong. An OBO Box is just an IP rated electrical plastic box that can be used outdoors. Pick them up in any electrical wholesalers or DIY stores for a couple of quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭LoveCoke

gazelec wrote: »
    A PCB is just a small camera on a printed circuit board (nothing fancy just a cheap small camera). I bought one on ebay for €15 from Singapore, probably rubbish but for that price you cant go wrong. An OBO Box is just an IP rated electrical plastic box that can be used outdoors. Pick them up in any electrical wholesalers or DIY stores for a couple of quid.
    Thanks for that explanation;)
    I am looking for an instruction video on how to connect an outdoors wireless camera to the electric power source. You would have to wire it to the junction box is it?

Advertisement