Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New top case + track pad €350+

Options
  • 18-02-2013 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi guys,

My L key recently stopped working after my macbook pro fell about 30cm onto a wooden floor. Since then, I have also managed to crack a corner of my track pad :mad:
    Compu-B quoted me with €357 for repairs (new top case and new track pad) including the €70 diagnosis and €40 labour costs.. Does this seem right?
    I would have thought a new top case includes a track pad..therefore repairing both in the process of replacing the top case?

Forgive me if this is a silly question..I'm not all that tech savvy, nor have I needed repairs before!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

What model of the macbook pro is it? Basically it is not hard task if you are handy with screw driver, replacement keyboard can be bought for ~€30 on ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

docentore wrote: »
    replacement keyboard can be bought for ~€30 on ebay.
    I'm not sure I would risk putting a potentially wrong or dodgy(liquid or otherwise) part inside my machine. nor would I want to risk damaging my machine any further and ending up with a total write off. Atleast any work you have done by Compu b is Guaranteed. Most people on ebay are striping down machines to recover what they can from an incident, or are cheap replica parts. Would you strip down your car engine and change the timing belt? it too is a relatively easy job - but get it wrong and your engine is kaput.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

I'm not sure I would risk putting a potentially wrong or dodgy(liquid or otherwise) part inside my machine. nor would I want to risk damaging my machine any further and ending up with a total write off. Atleast any work you have done by Compu b is Guaranteed. Most people on ebay are striping down machines to recover what they can from an incident, or are cheap replica parts. Would you strip down your car engine and change the timing belt? it too is a relatively easy job - but get it wrong and your engine is kaput.

If I knew how, was sure that I can make it right and the end price would be less than 10% of a workshop price definitely I would.

Car mechanics or CompuB technicians don't have super powers, they are ordinary human as you or me. If they can do it why I can't?

Advertisement