Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to sell cigarettes online

Options
  • 18-02-2013 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi there, just looking for some advice. I have ex- shop stock ciagrettes which i wish to sell. The vat/ tax is fully paid and i have all the evidence requried to demonstrate that they are left over stock and were bought in the framework of leglislation! I am wondering if i am able to sell them or is there a post elsewhere that people could guide me towards!

Many thanks:o

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

I'm not sure of what the relevant legislation is, but I'm pretty sure its illegal to sell them online (ask yourself why isn't everyone else doing it?).

I'd suspect it's because you wouldn't be able to verify the age of the buyer online.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd suggest querying this with revenue,

• Registered Users Posts: 37 collinseliza

Yea i'll try doing that (phoning revenue). I really want rid of them as they are taking up some much valued storage space!
    I hadn't factored in the whole the age thing and validating the persons age!! thanks for that reminder, i wouldn't want to get into any trouble in doing this!
    thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Another5 possibility is to sell to bars who stock their own cigarette vending machines. You would have to do cheaper than wholesalers but could be lucrative if you want a quick sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Spocker wrote: »
    I'm not sure of what the relevant legislation is, but I'm pretty sure its illegal to sell them online (ask yourself why isn't everyone else doing it?).

I'd suspect it's because you wouldn't be able to verify the age of the buyer online.
    The age can be verified by insisting they use a credit card, I think it is accepted the person will be over 18 then. Many shops do sell tobacco online, the problem is you are liable for excise duty on it, so it ends up costing more if you are caught, tobacco is easily sniffed out.

I see adverts.ie do not allow it to be listed. Not sure if you require a licences. If you went into a pub they would probably think its dodgy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭joeguevara

rubadub wrote: »
    The age can be verified by insisting they use a credit card, I think it is accepted the person will be over 18 then. Many shops do sell tobacco online, the problem is you are liable for excise duty on it, so it ends up costing more if you are caught, tobacco is easily sniffed out.

I see adverts.ie do not allow it to be listed. Not sure if you require a licences. If you went into a pub they would probably think its dodgy.

I agree in part. If you could demonstrate that you had all duty paid, and provide with paperwork and then offer a good deal, id say a publican (speaking as an ex publican) would go for it. Thats not to say a publican wouldnt go for a dodgy deal as well if he could make money out of it. We see this every day - using private sky instead of pub sky, buying liquor off (skeptical non-traditional sources etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭MiamiMice

I'll take your Marlboro Lights off your hands!

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

rubadub wrote: »
    tobacco is easily sniffed out.

No pun intended, right? ;)

I wasn't aware of any Irish shops selling online, and you're correct, I can confirm as an Adverts.ie Mod that we don't permit them cigarettes for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 collinseliza

Thanks for the helpful tips, I appreciate them. I have all the documentation for them alright, proof of purchase ....I'll have to give it some more thought on how to get rid of them!!! I can see now why the likes of adverts.ie wouldn't allow the sale of such items...very responsible...but i don't want to be looking at them either!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭Guffy

Pm me your brands

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement