Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an indoor RC Helicopter for my 13 year old son

Options
  • 17-02-2013 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My son is looking for an RC Helicopter for his upcoming birthday. He's had a few cheapo models in the past when much younger but they invariably ended up broken fairly quickly.

I don't want to buy him something inappropriate so I'm hoping my fellow Boardsies will give me a steer as to what I should get him and from where. Happy to buy online or instore providing it's Dublin city or South Dublin based.

The big day is next Saturday and my budget is +/- €50.

Cheers,

Ben

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

I think this one would be a good choice .Every part can be bought online and are not very dear ,its also very tough though so you shouldn't need many spare parts.Could he fly the other helicopters ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi Ilyushin76,

Thanks for the recommendation, that looks like it would do the trick. My wife spotted this http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/0-V319.html in the Gadget Shop in Dundrum for €35 but I'm sure the one you recommend is way better.

I had thought about getting him something like this http://radiocontrolledshop.ie/multicopters-bicopters-tricopters-quadcopters-hexcopters/5128-hubsan-h107-x4-mini-quad-copter-rtf-24ghz.html but that's probably the 13 year old coming out in me :-)

I'm not sure if he can fly more challenging models or not. If he could what would you recommend?

Cheers,

Ben

Hi,ya I think the eflite one would be better than the one you linked to is more a toy and could be hard to get spares.I am not sure about the quad coppter you linked as I have never flown one but I believe they are harder to fly than a heli but if he can fly a heli pretty well then maybe he could fly it.if you want to spend a good bit more then this heli is probably better than the first one I linked to.

All the helis I have are made by blade so that's why I am recommending them ,there could be better helicopters for cheaper out there so somebody else on here might be able to recommend one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Ilyushin76 wrote: »
    if you want to spend a good bit more then this heli is probably better than the first one I linked to.

That wouldnt seem a bad choice with its 4 channels. In my opinion, any heli, no matter what type, should have minimum of 4 channels. This gives full helicopter control in all directions. 3 channels is too restrictive and inhibits proper learning.

Also, ensure you get mode 2 radio setup, which on the one linked there by Ilyushin, may be selectable on the radio. But mode 2, and 4 channel is the way to go. Mode 2 just means the throttle control is on the left stick, where as with mode 1 its on the right, which should be avoided at all costs.

The quad copter might not be a bad choice either, but would be an easier second one after the one linked above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Love the mini quads, Hubsan X4 or the V929 are brilliant (and very hard to break - good for beginners).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Husban x4 worth a look for the OP alright.

Hi all,

I ordered this one http://www.modelheliservices.com/acatalog/BLH2700---Blade-Scout-RTF-3-Ch-Heli-4997.html which I know is only 3 channel but it will be an easy introduction for him. If he wants to upgrade the 3 channel can be passed to his litle sister and he can get a more challenging/rewarding 4 channel model like this http://www.modelheliservices.com/acatalog/MINI-TWISTER-SCALE-2-4G-4CH-RTF-HELI--M2--4407.html later on.

Thanks all,

Ben

Lets us know how he gets on with it

Will do Ilyushin76, thanks for all the help.

Advertisement