Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open-Jaw flights Dublin to Australia

Options
  • 17-02-2013 2:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before or is in the wrong section.

I'm planning a 3 week trip to OZ in November so currently planning my route and looking at open-jaw flights. I was thinking Dublin --> Melbourne outbound and Perth --> Dublin back.

I was in the travel agents today and was quoted €918 return including my Australian holiday visa. That's with Malaysia Airlines with 2 stops in London & Kuala Lumpur.

This sounds like a great deal to me. I'm not familiar with how much these kind of flights usually cost so my question is..... is this a good deal or just what to expect?

Any feedback would be appreciated,

Liam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Seems decent to me. What company are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Its a decent price but 2-stop flights really annoy me. Specially ones that stop in London as it greatly increases your chance of delays etc. If time isn't an issue, go for it, otherwise I'd search around a bit more and see if you can get open jaw flights with Emirates (I say Emirates because I believe they are the only 1-stop airline to service Perth - Dublin.) Etihad do 1-stop to the east coast as well.

Also, its worth noting that the 3-month tourist visa to Oz is free anyway so offering you that adds zero value to the package. You can do it yourself in 5-mins and it will be approved almost instantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭lc180

rightyabe wrote: »
    Seems decent to me. What company are you using?

I used Abbey travel, a travel wise friend recommended them. Must try trailfinders also. If you have any suggestions please shout!

Batgurl wrote: »
    Its a decent price but 2-stop flights really annoy me. Specially ones that stop in London as it greatly increases your chance of delays etc. If time isn't an issue, go for it, otherwise I'd search around a bit more and see if you can get open jaw flights with Emirates (I say Emirates because I believe they are the only 1-stop airline to service Perth - Dublin.) Etihad do 1-stop to the east coast as well.

Also, its worth noting that the 3-month tourist visa to Oz is free anyway so offering you that adds zero value to the package. You can do it yourself in 5-mins and it will be approved almost instantly.

Yeah the 2 stops is a definite disadvantage but stopover times aren't too long and currently saves a few hundred euro compared to one stop flights so it's not too shabby.

Is there a $20 processing fee for the tourist visa? Seems to be a lot of conflicting info on the Web. Cheers for your feedback!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Are you sure its a return, I just checked abbeytravel.ie and it states flights to melbourne from €918 no mention of a return..:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

lc180 wrote: »
    I was in the travel agents today and was quoted €918 return including my Australian holiday visa.
    Isn't the visa free?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I think it's a bad deal.
    Book it yourself for ~€750 through some travel website like expedia/ebookers/lastminute
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056876261

ballooba wrote: »
    Isn't the visa free?

I thinks its free, the travel agent never told me that so o just kind of assummed there was a little fee - my bad!

And to the other boardie asking - yep price is def €918 return.

snubbleste wrote: »
    I think it's a bad deal.
    Book it yourself for ~€750 through some travel website like expedia/ebookers/lastminute
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056876261

I'll give this a look tonight thanks. In your opinion is €918 a normal everyday price for an open jaw return to OZ? I thought anything under a grand was pretty good but im not used to pricing long haul flights.
    Obviously a dublin to Melbourne return deal is gonna be cheaper than a Dublin - Melbourne - Perth - Dublin routing no?

lc180 wrote: »

I'll give this a look tonight thanks. In your opinion is €918 a normal everyday price for an open jaw return to OZ? I thought anything under a grand was pretty good but im not used to pricing long haul flights.
    Obviously a dublin to Melbourne return deal is gonna be cheaper than a Dublin - Melbourne - Perth - Dublin routing no?
    I checked earlier. I saw your request and chose to respond. Dub-Mel Per-Dub for three weeks in November is e755 with Malaysian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I agree OP, you can get better deals out there.

Not sure of your exact dates, but dept Oct 30 - return Nov 20, booked with Orbitz you can get flights for E734 (charged in USD so $980 USD). If you look around you should be able to get it on an EU based online agent so you are charged in euro. I tried ebookers but the flights didn't come up.

https://www.orbitz.com/book/bookingpath?execution=e1s1 (not sure if the link will retain the flight info)

mel.b wrote: »
    I agree OP, you can get better deals out there.

Not sure of your exact dates, but dept Oct 30 - return Nov 20, booked with Orbitz you can get flights for E734 (charged in USD so $980 USD). If you look around you should be able to get it on an EU based online agent so you are charged in euro. I tried ebookers but the flights didn't come up.

https://www.orbitz.com/book/bookingpath?execution=e1s1 (not sure if the link will retain the flight info)

Awesome cheers for this! I checked Orbitz and eBookers for my dates and its coming in at under €750!

Strangely when I try to book a multi-trip directly with the Malaysian website Dublin doesn't appear in the airport list but Dublin does appear when I try a normal return booking.

Hey...I told you about before mel.b! Where is my praise!?!

snubbleste wrote: »
    Hey...I told you about before mel.b! Where is my praise!?!

Seriously?

So.... I booked my flights on Monday. Thanks to posting a thread on here I managed to save myself well over €150! This is a fine example off why is f'in love Boards.ie :D

Big thanks to everyone for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Can anyone help me find a similar saving!

Hoping to fly Sydney-Dublin end of july, back via Colombo end of August. Plan is to then fly back from Mumbai to Perth end of Oct/beginning of Nov.
    Its abit off the beaten track but has anyone done a similar route on the way back to Oz? Im getting an estimate of $2900 from the websites Ive looked up so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

statina wrote: »
    Can anyone help me find a similar saving!

Hoping to fly Sydney-Dublin end of july, back via Colombo end of August. Plan is to then fly back from Mumbai to Perth end of Oct/beginning of Nov.
    Its abit off the beaten track but has anyone done a similar route on the way back to Oz? Im getting an estimate of $2900 from the websites Ive looked up so far.

So your route is (just double checking)

Syd-dub-colombo-mumbai-perth?

You are travelling overland colombo-mumbai?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

mel.b wrote: »

So your route is (just double checking)

Syd-dub-colombo-mumbai-perth?

You are travelling overland colombo-mumbai?

Didnt put it in cos i thought itd confuse things further! But I've priced flights from colombo to Mumbai- $250 which is fine.

Half considering adding the Maldives at the end but it's looking to to work out expensive. Mumbai- Male airport $560. Male-Perth $650

So Syd-Dub-Colombo-Mumbai-Male-Perth!

Advertisement