Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anti-nmda receptor encephalitis

Options
  • 16-02-2013 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

As per the title I'm looking for info with regard to anti-nmda receptor encephalitis, it was initially recognised around 6 to 7 years ago. I'm just wondering if it is recognised within medical circles here in Ireland and if so, is there a particular route to diagnosis or for that matter any irish research relating to the condition. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

As per the title I'm looking for info with regard to anti-nmda receptor encephalitis, it was initially recognised around 6 to 7 years ago. I'm just wondering if it is recognised within medical circles here in Ireland and if so, is there a particular route to diagnosis or for that matter any irish research relating to the condition. Thank you.

Think I remember sending samples for antibody testing (to London) when I worked in immunology a few years ago. Couldn't tell you much more than that! But if it was requested in a regional hospital it's a safe enough bet that either the immunology or neurology teams in Beaumont could tell you more.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭miss tickle

Think I remember sending samples for antibody testing (to London) when I worked in immunology a few years ago. Couldn't tell you much more than that! But if it was requested in a regional hospital it's a safe enough bet that either the immunology or neurology teams in Beaumont could tell you more.

I really appreciate your reply, sometimes chasing a query regarding something specific can be difficult, but sometimes you hit the jackpot. I cannot thank you enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

I do know it's been diagnosed in several Irish people over the past few years. Samples are sent overseas for diagnosis - either to the UK or Spain, I'm not sure which. Pretty much any hospital would have access to this testing depending on their lab protocols.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭miss tickle

I do know it's been diagnosed in several Irish people over the past few years. Samples are sent overseas for diagnosis - either to the UK or Spain, I'm not sure which. Pretty much any hospital would have access to this testing depending on their lab protocols.

Thanks, pansophelia, apologies for the late reply, I just wasn't sure whether it was neurology or immunology I should be looking towards for a diagnosis.

Advertisement