Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking a toddler swimming?

Options
  • 16-02-2013 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Does anyone have any tips for taking a toddler swimming and getting the changing done without any stress?

I took my 18mth old to the pool last week and he really enjoyed it, but I found getting changed a nightmare. Not too bad going in, but not easy at all getting ready again afterwards.

Our local pool has just one mixed changing area which is all cubicles. So I got my stuff out of a locker, went into a cubicle... realised I couldn't change him back into an ordinary nappy in the cubicle. Back out of the cubicle, found the changing table, got the child nappied and dried (whilst freezing in a wet swimsuit and being closely watched by around 25 9 year old boys who were just lining up to leave). Back into the cubicle, got child dressed, absolutely freezing myself. Child dressed, I try to get ready. I turn round and child is crawling around on wet cubicle floor. Stand him up, try to finish getting ready. Little monkey is now pulling things from next door cubicle under the partition. I'm finally ready but all my clothes are soaking and child is now sitting on the wet things I had left on the bench.

I swear to God I was ready to cry by the time I was out of there!

So I'm just hoping that some other parents who are used to taking small children swimming might have some tips as to how to make it go a bit more smoothly and prevent me having to drive home in soggy clothes again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

Snacks are your friend! Bring snacks for him. He will probably be hungry after the activity. Also I use one of those towels that are like ponchos which keep them warmer as you get organised. I usually get them dressed first (while they eat). Means you are dripping wet but I find its better to get them out of their wet things before they get too cold. Can you bring a small stroller into the changing rooms? Then once he is dressed strap him in and get yourself dry and dressed. I just dry off and dress and shower at home to save time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Little My wrote: »
    Does anyone have any tips for taking a toddler swimming and getting the changing done without any stress?

I took my 18mth old to the pool last week and he really enjoyed it, but I found getting changed a nightmare. Not too bad going in, but not easy at all getting ready again afterwards.

Our local pool has just one mixed changing area which is all cubicles. So I got my stuff out of a locker, went into a cubicle... realised I couldn't change him back into an ordinary nappy in the cubicle. Back out of the cubicle, found the changing table, got the child nappied and dried (whilst freezing in a wet swimsuit and being closely watched by around 25 9 year old boys who were just lining up to leave). Back into the cubicle, got child dressed, absolutely freezing myself. Child dressed, I try to get ready. I turn round and child is crawling around on wet cubicle floor. Stand him up, try to finish getting ready. Little monkey is now pulling things from next door cubicle under the partition. I'm finally ready but all my clothes are soaking and child is now sitting on the wet things I had left on the bench.

I swear to God I was ready to cry by the time I was out of there!

So I'm just hoping that some other parents who are used to taking small children swimming might have some tips as to how to make it go a bit more smoothly and prevent me having to drive home in soggy clothes again.
    I haven't started going swimming wit the little man yet, but I have thought about this :)
    Is there a family changing room?
    Bring a dressing gown with you(for you) or one of those towels with elastic at the top. Take off swimsuit,wrap yourself up, wrap your hair up(turbie towel), then, start changing baby. Bring all sorts of stuff for the little one, little bag of snacks or a book to keep amused while mammy gets changed!

Now as I've said,I haven't put this into practice but this is going to go swimmingly(:D) for me ha ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

I always have spare towel for the wet floor, it stays relatively dry. Our pool is bloody roasting though so we never get cold afterwards so I always change first so the kids dont be too warm too long. I get my toddler involved, while Im changing I ask her to start doing the same (she dont get very far by herself but it keeps her busy) or put things in the bag etc. I got so used to it now it dont take us 5 min to change back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I definitely agree with snacks firstly because he'll be hungry after being in the water and secondly it distracts them. Things like raisins or grapes are great. You get yourself changed while he's eating and then change him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I wrap which ever baby I have with me in the poncho towel and get a dressing gown on me and my hair wrapped in a towel. I usually give them a fruit pouch or something so I can dress them around it.

Then if possible I put them in a buggy while I get changed. It can be a hassle but I think the main problem with the 12 month old is he doesnt know whats going on where as I can explain to the 30 month old that she has to get changed then me etc.

• Advertisement

Toddler dressing gowns with hoods are great. A quick rub down with a towel and then a new swim nappy or pull up nappy to take care of any accidents on the way between the dressing room and home.... wrap all that in a good thick toddler dressing gown and hood... and I usually find she is good to go. She might get the gown a bit wet while I change, but nothing serious enough to worry about while going from door to door, swim to home.

Also a good trick again if you are just going from the pool to home is to dress convieniently yourself. Trakkies and a sweatshirt is enough to get you door to door. Nothing complicated or slow to put on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Ive been bringing my now 9.5 month old since she was 3 months. I usually take off my togs n wrap myself and mu hair in towel. Then get herself dried and dressed. Im lucky that the pool i now go 2 has a baby changing area with travel cot but when i used to use a public pool with cubicals i brought her stroller n used the biggest cubical. Some pools have family changing rooms (my old one did and i never knew at the time) so maybe ask. Totally agree with the snacks and maybe a favourite toy. My LO has a rusk and a drink and then plays with her toy. If u cant bring stroller one off the bath seats might help (if your lo will fit in one) will stop them moving about and getting 2 wet. I bring one to use in the shower and often dry it off and put lo in it whie i dry my hair .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Ive been bringing my now 9.5 month old since she was 3 months. I usually take off my togs n wrap myself and mu hair in towel. Then get herself dried and dressed. Im lucky that the pool i now go 2 has a baby changing area with travel cot but when i used to use a public pool with cubicals i brought her stroller n used the biggest cubical. Some pools have family changing rooms (my old one did and i never knew at the time) so maybe ask. Totally agree with the snacks and maybe a favourite toy. My LO has a rusk and a drink and then plays with her toy. If u cant bring stroller one off the bath seats might help (if your lo will fit in one) will stop them moving about and getting 2 wet. I bring one to use in the shower and often dry it off and put lo in it whie i dry my hair .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

*Shudder* Reminds me of my first time swimming with the rugrat. The only advice i can give you is find a pool with better changing facilities. We go swimming with the cuidiu groups. They always seem to find the pools with dry playpens to put the child in while you get dressed, and big padded tables so you are not breaking your back or putting your dry stuff on a wet floor.

Cubicles are not your friend. Toddlers just love squeezing under the edge of them into the next cubicle... To the horror of your nekkid neighbour. Open plan changing is the way to go with kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

Thanks for all the replies! I feel a little more prepared now... going to try again tomorrow so fingers crossed.

Don't think a stroller with me would work, the cubicles are tiny, but I'll definitely bring some snacks and hope that keeps him occupied.

It's funny, I imagine I'd manage much better in a communal female changing room, but Leisureland in Galway has only mixed cubicles so I wouldn't feel comfortable at the changing table or something in just a towel myself. The reason for going there is because they have a toddler session where they turn on fountains and bubbles and whatnot so its more fun for him, but the changing facilities were definitely not designed for a toddler.

Does anyone know where they have the towel poncho things at the mo or is it something you just have to keep an eye out for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Little My wrote: »
    Does anyone know where they have the towel poncho things at the mo or is it something you just have to keep an eye out for?

So many places stock them, from Mothercare to Tesco to Pennies to Heatons.

I'm a terrible mother, I used dry my guy, dress him and since the lower lockers were deep and off ground level I'd place him in one so he was standing looking at me with his snack and juice as I changed. My places changing room was horrific standard for adults, let alone children, but you find something that works and it becomes easier then, also I would suggest sandals for the changing rooms. Cheap Tesco/Penny's ones, that way if your/their feet get wet, no big deal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Love it, stick them in the locker!!

Great idea about the bath seat, never though of that.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Wolfpawnat, I'm laughing my head off at the thought of the locker - its genius!! I havent taken the baby for a few months now, and he is a lot more wiggly at 9.5 months than he was then.

How I managed was, I peeled off my suit, wrapped a towel around me, then got him ready. Nappy, vest and then I put him into a loose fleecy babygro which was much easier put on, and also the car seat straps can go on properly. The woman beside me was trying to wrestle her baby girl into tights! :eek: I had dressed both of us by the time those bloody tights were on, and she was quite frustrated and freezing I'd imagine. I wore flip flops, trackie bottoms and a top that I could fire on quickly.

If its a day that my partner also went, he would have left the pool a few mins before us and then I went out to the hall, handed over baby to him then got dressed /hair combed myself and packed us up as there was nowhere to safely put the baby that wasnt a wet floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Love it, stick them in the locker!!
    Neyite wrote: »
    Wolfpawnat, I'm laughing my head off at the thought of the locker - its genius!!

Drastic times and what not:D. It was a deep one with the door level with the changing bench so it was to his chest, so he could see me perfectly as he stood on the extra towels I'd bring so he wouldn't slip and just eat and drink as I had two seconds to myself. Used terrify women who'd come into the dressing rooms and all they'd hear is a little hello and a head poking out of a locker..... As I said, terrible mother :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Wolfpawnat the locker is ingenious and hilarious!

Advertisement