Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And then there were four...

Options
  • 16-02-2013 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

Picked two of those Taito Mini's up there today {thanks Keith!}. They're definite project cabs & need a good bit if tlc in order to restore back to greatness. I won't get near them for a while, but at least I have them there for a rainy day.

5d4c94.jpg

e6bndx.jpg

I might leave one vertical & buy a shmup board for it, something old school like a 19XX game & get proper vinyls etc for it. The other I might leave horizontal & turn it into an MVS cab & deck it out with Metal Slug vinyls or something along those lines.

Anyway, happy times :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,482 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Beautiful stuff! Please tell me he has more left! :eek:

Edit - are the monitors powering on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    Beautiful stuff! Please tell me he has more left! :eek:

He was fairly busy with the rest of them when I was there, cleaning them up. He's keeping some & the other lad from the deal is keeping some, but there will be some left over I think. They need serious work though, some of the wood etc has rotted & needs to be replaced, t mouldings, screen glass etc...& thats just the cosmetic stuff!

Edit - Only one has a monitor, the other is just a shell basically. I won't be testing the one with the screen until I have a good proper look at the wiring inside, so I'm going on the basis that both need screens. With the likes of Mitch etc, sourcing generic crt's shouldn't be too bad so its something I'll do over time

Master of the Universe

That's the problem with woodies isn't it? Damn damp gets near them and really buggers them up.

Still, looks like you got two lovely ones there. I particularly like that vertical one on the right, the screen and bezel look the business.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

WANT!!

Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    With the likes of Mitch etc, sourcing generic crt's shouldn't be too bad so its something I'll do over time

Jeff over in the UK has new small CRT monitors (19 inch I think?). They're tri sync too. Would look amazing in one of these.

• Advertisement

That's the problem with woodies isn't it? Damn damp gets near them and really buggers them up.

Still, looks like you got two lovely ones there. I particularly like that vertical one on the right, the screen and bezel look the business.

Aye if they're stored in a very damp/wet location the wood really does suffer. Yeah the ones I got I'm happy with, esp for the price. The vertical one is the better of the two, but the glass is cracked in the corner which is a shame. Still, like you always say, anything & everything on these things is replaceable so I'm just glad to have gotten two shells that can be worked on :)

Congrats man!
    I'd love to see a database of Irish cabs.
    Whats the first cab on the left?

Master of the Universe

Ah they're even smaller, 14 inches. This guy over on AO got some for restoring Sega Mushikings. The picture on them looks amazing.

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23014

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

They look fecking gorgeous man! Awesome looking cabs. "Jelly" as they say. :cool:

urbanledge wrote: »
    Congrats man!
    I'd love to see a database of Irish cabs.
    Whats the first cab on the left?

The one on the far left is a Tekken 3 cab that I saved from death by skip. I think it was originally a Midway cab, perhaps KI or MK...maybe someone else might know? It came from Dover anyway, there's a service sticker on the back that has the safety checks carried out by date/location etc

• Advertisement

Andrew76 wrote: »
    They look fecking gorgeous man! Awesome looking cabs. "Jelly" as they say. :cool:

No, jelly is how I'd describe my feelings for that cab in your living room. What a stunning looking thing :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

WIN! defo needs bombjack on one of them..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Keeping one of them vertical and MVS 1 slot the other would be a perfect setup imo. Actually I meant to show you the 1 slot I have and carts, tiny little yoke but some great games available for it.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Keeping one of them vertical and MVS 1 slot the other would be a perfect setup imo

Yeah thats what I'm sort of planning, should cover all the bases then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Very nice indeed !! They look to be sound enough bases to work from.

Very nice indeed !! They look to be sound enough bases to work from.

Thats exactly it, something that can be fixed/restored was what I was after. Really liking the idea of a dedicated shmup cab, & a dedicated Neo Geo one beside it. The problem is it'll be ages before I get them in any kind of playable state :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

EnterNow wrote: »
    The problem is it'll be ages before I get them in any kind of playable state :(

Congrats on the cabs, It will be no harm leaving them a while to dry out if they were damp. Even if the wood panels have to be replaced you have the perfect template from the old panels. The bezel looks perfect from the photos in anyway and that would probably be one of the harder parts to source. I now have my heart set on a candy after seen Steves last year and Oisins last night, I sold a cube this morning so there's 35 euro in the fund already only another circa 965 euro to go.

Monkeykube wrote: »
    Congrats on the cabs, It will be no harm leaving them a while to dry out if they were damp. Even if the wood panels have to be replaced you have the perfect template from the old panels. The bezel looks perfect from the photos in anyway and that would probably be one of the harder parts to source. I now have my heart set on a candy after seen Steves last year and Oisins last night, I sold a cube this morning so there's 35 euro in the fund already only another circa 965 euro to go.

I'd love a Candy myself, seeing Andrews Egret 3 today made me really want to pick one up. It'll be ages down the road though, given the monetary situation. The only thing better than a Candy Cab is two Candy Cabs...which is a problem :D

I've the room for a good few more cabs though, space for me isn't so much the problem...its affording the damn things

Master of the Universe

As I was saying to you before, space is the number 1 requirement. If you meet that then you can pick them up along the way. Sure look at what you have now, it's beginning to look like an arcade ;)

As I was saying to you before, space is the number 1 requirement. If you meet that then you can pick them up along the way. Sure look at what you have now, it's beginning to look like an arcade ;)

Aye, space is not an issue luckily here. They're in a pretty big bricks and mortar garden shed thats drywalled, carpeted & has power. Thats one wall filled, another two walls to go & space for a cab on either side of the door too. I'd say I'd fit another six to eight cabs in easily, maybe ten. Very lucky to have it, & the only limiting factors are my non existent budget & the width of door frames :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement