Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed for LC Practical on Drums

Options
  • 16-02-2013 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

I'm in my leaving cert year and I'm studying Music as one of my subjects. 50% of this subject is based on practical work which will be assessed in April (I haven't been given a date yet). I'm a drummer and I'm going to do four songs on the drums. The key to the practical (so I've been told) is to pick different songs, of different genres etc. I've been drumming for 5 years and if anyone wants to check out my level I can link youtube vids. Basically I need help choosing 4 different songs! If there's any drummers or music heads who can give some suggestions of songs with good drums of different genres I'd appreciate it! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Chikablam

Well what kind of music do you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dude Love 1

I like a bit of everything but rock would be my favourite genre! I'd love to do 4 rock songs but I don't think it's good for marks. I've studied the different genres and I could do one or two rock songs, with the other two or three being blues/country/electronic/folk/hip hop/jazz or reggae. But I'm not sure of any good drumming songs in these genres

I'd say a jazz song would be pretty safe to play. If you're looking to show off, I'd say some metal would be good for that. Don't suppose you're any good with a double pedal?
    Do any of your friends play instruments?
    Could get them to record themselves doing something, and you make up a beat for it, show originality and all that.

Thanks, Jazz would be nice to do, I wonder what Jazz style songs have good drums... I have a double pedal but I don't think I could pull off metal! I'm in a band so I could get some of them to record stuff. That's actually a great idea. Would they accept pre-recorded original tracks? My brother is in the band and he's great for writing material

Can't really help you with jazz, I'm afraid I have no idea about it. The one song I would recommend is this, instrumental, with a bit of double kick. There's a breakdown, which might be tricky, but I find it so much fun to play.
    A friend of mine is recording some backing tracks for his practical, so yeah, I'd say so
    Hmmm, maybe even look up a cover of a dubstep song and do that, cause that'd be pretty impressive.

• Advertisement

Can't really help you with jazz, I'm afraid I have no idea about it. The one song I would recommend is this, instrumental, with a bit of double kick. There's a breakdown, which might be tricky, but I find it so much fun to play.
    A friend of mine is recording some backing tracks for his practical, so yeah, I'd say so
    Hmmm, maybe even look up a cover of a dubstep song and do that, cause that'd be pretty impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Chikablam wrote: »
    I'd say a jazz song would be pretty safe to play. If you're looking to show off, I'd say some metal would be good for that.

Bahahaha, jazz is the easier option and metal is the really technically challenging one? Riiiiiiight.....

OP, what kind of music do you like? If you pick music you're really into, you'll learn it more carefully, enjoy it more, and your performance will be way more connected and involved. No point just asking for things that will impress! Try pick a few songs that you really like, from different genres.

I never said easy, I said safe, as in acceptable, can't go wrong with it

Chikablam wrote: »
    I never said easy, I said safe, as in acceptable, can't go wrong with it

Some solid jazz drumming will 'show off' good technique way more than metal of a similar standard.

I never criticised jazz on a lack of technique. I'm well aware of the difficulty and skill associated with it.
    What I said was that playing some jazz would be a good idea, because it is unlikely that the examiner would have any problems with the genre.

In the original post, I was referring to showing off a technical, rather than groove/jam, level.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the suggestions! I like that idea of a dubstep, might try that at the weekend. I listened to both jazz songs, it really is a unique style of drumming that I have never ventured into to be honest. Would I be best to use brushes for jazz songs? And is drumming to a jazz song based mostly on interpretation on the drummers behalf? I'm kinda worried about my ability in this front, maybe a funky james brown style song would be better? I know that's not jazz but I'd like to dedicate one song to something along the lines of jazz/funk/soul

Would I be best to use brushes for jazz songs?

Brush drumming is a completely different style to sticks, if you haven't used brushes before I'd say stay away from them. Lots of different techniques and a completely different approach needed, you'd be relearning how to play the drums in a sense. Way bigger undertaking than you need for the LC.

And is drumming to a jazz song based mostly on interpretation on the drummers behalf?

Yeah, sorta, like proper jazz drummers are way more involved with improvisation and interpretation within the tune. Something you'd be playing for the LC wouldn't really need that level, since you just need to show you're a good drummer. The LC wouldn't be "proper" jazz playing in that regard.
    I'm kinda worried about my ability in this front, maybe a funky james brown style song would be better? I know that's not jazz but I'd like to dedicate one song to something along the lines of jazz/funk/soul

Yeah, spot on, don't throw yourself into jazz if you're not comfortable with it. Most important thing to do for your exam is show you can play well, and you need to be comfortable to do that. If you can rock some funk drums that'd be deadly, show you can groove with a nice breakbeat. Also that would be ****ing tons of fun :)

Grand, I understand I'll stay away from the brushes so! Thanks for your help I feel more at ease now, I'll have a look for a funky drumming song and work from there. Here I am drumming in the band I'm in : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43XmMLrkixY there's not many fills in that song just kinda a few varied beats, its simple enough, would something along the lines of that be good enough for the LC??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Bit late to this thread. I'm guessing you have done your assessment at this stage. How did you get on?

Personally, If I had seen this thread at the time, I would have recommended maybe 2 rock songs, with one of them being a shuffle, a bossa nova and a basic jazz swing tune.

Bit late to this thread. I'm guessing you have done your assessment at this stage. How did you get on?

Personally, If I had seen this thread at the time, I would have recommended maybe 2 rock songs, with one of them being a shuffle, a bossa nova and a basic jazz swing tune.

Bit late to reply to you! Got on very well, I had my pieces chosen around the end of March which gave me a solid month to practice. I did Queens of the Stone Age - Song for the Dead, Bob Marley - Jammin, Jimi Hendrix - Fire and The Police - Message in the Bottle. They were all songs I knew well. I was a bit wary doing a jazz because I wasn't used to that style! It went well though, I'll see for sure in August!

Excellent buzz, good to hear! When do yer exams finish?

Thursday! Will be a relief, thankyou for your help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Well done on the exam, what do you want to study in college?

Law I think if I get the points. I would ideally like to go into music but wheres the jobs you know?

Advertisement