Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sabayon 11 released

Options
  • 16-02-2013 2:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

linux sabayon 11 released. Kernel 3.7. Gnome 3.6.2 KDE 4.9.5 for example. As it's a rolling release, I still havent bothered moving from kernel 3.6, but I just thought you guys might like to know, like.

"As many of you know, Sabayon is a rolling distribution with some tweaks to the model to make the experience less painful and more predictable. This also mean that our official releases (or snapshots) are becoming stale very quickly, which is a reason why we have “daily” live media images available as well."

Ive been on this for 2 years (KDE version) without any reinstalls required due to new version releases and the only problem I have had was AMD catalyst dropping support for my graphics card..so not a linux issue at all
    more details at http://www.sabayon.org/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭IRWolfie-

What's the difference between sabayon and Archlinux?

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭human 19

dont know where to start with that one. They are completely different. I havent used arch for the same reason I havent used Gentoo; namely because Im a lazy bastard.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/Linux_Distribution_Timeline.svg

Sabayon is based on Gentoo. Unlike Gentoo , it is a fully fledged distro with install GUI, codecs and (too many) drivers provided as default.

https://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=En:Tips :

"Sabayon is basically Gentoo (Gentoo's testing branch)so many things related to Gentoo also apply to Sabayon. With this in mind the following links will be very helpful in solving any problems you may have. Make sure to bookmark them. In particular, Sabayon is based on Gentoo's testing branch which is about on par with Debian's Sid (unstable branch) releases. Though based on the bleeding edge, you will find Sabayon is quite stable and perhaps more cutting edge"

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭IRWolfie-

So it's basically gentoo but with a nice installer? I use arch myself, but I've heard Sabayon mentioned a few times in threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭LiamOSullivan

IRWolfie- wrote: »
    So it's basically gentoo but with a nice installer? I use arch myself, but I've heard Sabayon mentioned a few times in threads.
    Pretty much. There's a few small patchsets floating about, and a lot more bloat in Sabayon, but there's pretty much the same thing.

As much as I want to love Sabayon(Gentoo user, here), I can't help but think that I'd just install Debian if I wanted what Sabayon gives, having finally tried Debian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭KAGY

As much as I want to love Sabayon(Gentoo user, here), I can't help but think that I'd just install Debian if I wanted what Sabayon gives, having finally tried Debian.
    I'm on Debian here ( testing with some packages pinned from experimental). But kde 4.9 isn't even in experimental yet due to a freeze. Got it through a semi official repository "experimental snapshots " but I could have done without the hassle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭human 19

KAGY wrote: »
    I'm on Debian here ( testing with some packages pinned from experimental). But kde 4.9 isn't even in experimental yet due to a freeze. Got it through a semi official repository "experimental snapshots " but I could have done without the hassle

Currently on KDE 4.10.1 on Sabayon....kernel 3.8~2, both from the repo :D

Advertisement