Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moon stacking

Options
  • 15-02-2013 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭

Moon stacking from this evening, 23 subs stacked in Registax 6

8476443069_36874347a7_z.jpg

Meade LXD75 mount
    Meade N6-AT Scope
    Canon 1100D @ prime focus
    Baader MPCC
    SW LPF

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Nicely focused, plenty of detail. Looks great!

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Tzetze wrote: »
    Nicely focused, plenty of detail. Looks great!

Thanks dude, happy with the result!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

I had taken a load of shots of the moon last week through my Celestron XLT 127 (newly acquired but secondhand) and was very disappointed with the soft image - looked out of focus, although didn't seem that way when I took it.
    Tonight I hauled out my 10" dob (acquired just before Christmas and also secondhand) and attached my camera at prime focus. Much better result! I think the faster optics allowed me to use a much higher shutter speed and I was just more careful with my setup. I presume there's not much point in stacking 10 jpeg moon images from an unguided scope?
    241667.JPG

10" Sky-watcher Dob with Nikon D300 at prime focus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Hi fat-tony. Great image for a single jpg!
    You don't need to worry about guiding for lunar work as the exposures are so short tha tyou won't get any appreciable drift during an exposure. You may get drift over a series of exposures but stacking will compensate for that.

Yes, stacking a series of exposures will greatly enhance your photo. Here's a good tutorial on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

I had earlier dived straight in to Registax to see if I could get my series of 10 jpegs to stack. After initially running out of virtual memory :eek: I upped the swap file to 2GB (on top of 1GB main memory) on my XP machine. Registax ran (slowly!) but produced an interesting mosiac from my shots. Need to "read the fine manual" to see where I'm going wrong. I'll have a look at the tutorial, thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement