Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distance sensors

Options
  • 15-02-2013 8:17pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 1,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for some sort of sensor to do short (<20cm) 3D distance measurement between the sensor and a marker of some sort. The two can't be tethered, and the higher resolution the better (~1mm would be great).

I have some basic electronics experience and am willing to learn a lot more, but I'm looking for a good starting place. From my initial research, my options are:
    - Ultrasonic: seems like it might be a good fit, but occlusion (pretty much guaranteed in my situation) could make it a non-starter.
    - Hall effect sensor: seems great in that they're small and cheap, but I don't know if they'd have the range or accuracy I'm looking for. Also, the marker can rotate and move freely, so I don't know if this means hall effect sensors couldn't be used as every example I see is with a very constrained magnet. These 3D hall effect sensors sound awesome and perfect for me, but again I don't know if they could be used for accurate distance measurement.
    - Electromagnetic (something like this): this is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, but it seems too bulky and overly complicated for what I'm looking for, and I don't need any rotational information.
    - RF: the occlusion problem seems to make RF useless for accurate distance measurement. Although over such a small distance maybe it wouldn't be an issue?

Hall effect sensors seem like the most promising approach, but I haven't been able to find any answers to the above concerns. Does anyone have any experience with them? Or any other suggestions or comments? Any input appreciated.

Advertisement