Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dental floss

Options
  • 15-02-2013 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

so i was over on a different website its not a survivalism site and one guy was saying how he uses dental floss to make tempory shelters as its light and strong and i guess it helps keep his breath minty fresh too

has any one else heard or used this way to build shelters ???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

I always have a full roll of it in my survival tin. Would depend on what shelter you were making, handy enough if you are making a leaf litter or grass shelter to hold the framwork together but I only keep it for dire emergencies because I'd normally have about 25m of para type cord with me and a 2m x 3m groundsheet to use as the bases for a shelter.

Now which one of the Tremors movies was it where the mexican guy saves the day with dental floss? Edit> Mr google had the answer Tremors 3 Back to Perfection http://www.subzin.com/quotes/Tremors+3%3A+Back+to+Perfection/Dental+floss!+l+always+carry+it. - Burt Gummer wasn't the only hero

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

I don't know the breaking strain of dental floss, but the abrasion resistance is not the best, would you not consider using something that is designed for tying knots and for abrasion resistance like braided fishing line, it's ultra thin comes in a multitude of colours and breaking strains, if your after the handy dispenser of the dental floss you could wind the braided line on there, the built in cutter would still slice through it.

Like this stuff, at almost a .22 of a mm but still 20lb, and this is not even the thinnest stuff on the market, you can get 60lb at under .50mm (can't dig up a photo of it)

image_zps8a8093a4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

One of the major selling points of the Dental Floss is that you can buy it tomorrow or next time you do your food shopping. Then safe in the knowledge you have something in your kit for an emergency you can spend some time finding something better. The Dental Floss is so easy to get there's no excuse not to have it or something similar in your kit.

Dump the dispenser, why would you hang on to something that takes up so much space and your roll of Dental Floss will slip into a survival tin. Mine fits inside the space made by a wound up lenght of snare wire and a wire saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

If your planning ahead for your kit, why not plan properly.
    It's not as if Braid is not widely available anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭jugger

im inpressed with the samurai braid i was surprized thats all i never thought of useing dental floss for that !!!

so samuri braid is really thin and really strong how strong is the cords inside paracord does any one know ???

• Advertisement
Advertisement