Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual Monitor Trouble, please help!!

Options
  • 15-02-2013 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

Hey Everyone,

I'm using an ATI Radeon HD 6450, it's this one:

11190-02_HD6450_1GBDDR3_HDMI_DVI_VGA_C03_634388020800927991_600_600.JPG

It's working fine when I just use the DVI port (connected to an old, but working fine) Targa lcd. I recently got my hands on a (vga only) dell lcd. My computer is a dell optiplex 755 desktop, and therefore I use the card with the low-profile bracket, meaning only DVI and HDMI are available to me. This shouldn't be a problem, as I have a HDMI to VGA converter which is working fine. However there is a problem :(

Whenever I connect the HDMI to VGA converter to the card, the DVI signal goes crazy, flicking on and off every second. It's redrawing the screen too, as the mouse cursor constantly gets recentered on the screen. And the VGA only Dell lcd keeps coming in and out of standby, but no picture is shown. If I disconnect the DVI cable and reboot, the VGA only Dell still displays no picture. I've verified the Dell lcd can take a signal from the HDMI to VGA converter with a laptop I have that only has HDMI out, and it works fine.

Any ideas, I'm stumped??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It's likely you can't use both the HDMI and the DVI at the same time. A lot of the Ati cards can only use 1 or the other but not both.

You would have to use the vga with the dvi or hdmi for 2 outputs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

BloodBath wrote: »
    It's likely you can't use both the HDMI and the DVI at the same time. A lot of the Ati cards can only use 1 or the other but not both.

Not claiming this with any certainty, but I was under the impression it was any two out of three ports rather than specific combinations?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭deadduck

BloodBath wrote: »

But the hdmi isn't outputting to the vga monitor either, when it's the only port connected? The hdmi works fine when connected to my Samsung tv. It's like the hdmi port on the card and the converter aren't getting along.

marco_polo wrote: »

Not claiming this with any certainty, but I was under the impression it was any two out of three ports rather than specific combinations?

This is my understanding of it too

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its a hack, but use the VGA port internally? Just take out a PCI blanking plate above or below and hook it up?

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Its a hack, but use the VGA port internally? Just take out a PCI blanking plate above or below and hook it up?

I'd be happy to, but I've misplaced the vga ribbon connector that runs from the plate to the card. That'd would've been my initial preference to be honest, but since I went and bought the hdmi converter, I really want to get it to work. It'd obviously look tidier too. But if it comes to it, and I just can't get it going, i'll bite the bullet and get a replacement vga ribbon connector, along with a low profile vga plate to keep things tidy.

Advertisement