Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christening gifts from godfather

Options
  • 15-02-2013 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭

I've the pleasure of being the godfather to my cousins's son next month, I've been to a few christening's and given the usual gifts.

What's usually expected from a godparent on the day?Any weird or wacky suggestions always welcomed. :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 eustie5

I have been godmother and my husband has been godfather a few times now and we have given either a baby bangle with the name engraved on it, bought the Christening cake or gone into Veritas on middle abbey street and bought a christening bib, bible and a few other bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Zil2011

Gift wise I'd be same as Eustie5. Something personalised is always nice from a Godparent, or open a bank account for the child and stick a few euro in it every now and then? An idea for the future though, would be to keep a 'Journal' Write a few lines about how you felt when asked to be Godfather, A few lines the day of the christening, and on each of the childs birthdays or special events through the years, nice gift for them on their 18th?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 tosser5

A personalised candle would be nice also maybe or a silver piggy bank

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

eustie5 wrote: »
    I have been godmother and my husband has been godfather a few times now and we have given either a baby bangle with the name engraved on it, bought the Christening cake or gone into Veritas on middle abbey street and bought a christening bib, bible and a few other bits.
    Zil2011 wrote: »
    Gift wise I'd be same as Eustie5. Something personalised is always nice from a Godparent, or open a bank account for the child and stick a few euro in it every now and then? An idea for the future though, would be to keep a 'Journal' Write a few lines about how you felt when asked to be Godfather, A few lines the day of the christening, and on each of the childs birthdays or special events through the years, nice gift for them on their 18th?
    tosser5 wrote: »
    A personalised candle would be nice also maybe or a silver piggy bank

Cheers for the ideas.I like the idea of the bangle tbh! :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

we got a few christening bangles,they are lovely but I am not sure if they will ever be worn.
    My 2nd girl got a D is for Diamond necklace from her godfather and it is beautiful and a lovely musical snowglobe too.
    Some distilleries do bottles of whiskey with the babies name on it,my son got a Jameson one of these and I thought it was a lovely present.

• Advertisement
Advertisement