Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your rights to hold Books & Records and / or Working Papers

Options
  • 15-02-2013 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

Hello Folks,

I hope you can help me out here.

What are your rights around witholding the Books & Records as well as your own Working Papers of a client who does NOT pay their bill?:confused:

Have any of you come accross inventive ways of getting the client to settle their bills?

Any of your help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Chevy RV

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

You need to take legal advice before deciding to hold on to books and records belonging to the client. Working papers on the other hand are yours. You don't have to give them to the client.

Have a look at: http://www.accaglobal.com/content/dam/acca/global/PDF-members/2012/3435213.pdf

The big question is are they refusing to pay a bill outright or are they disputing the bill? Have you met with the client? Do you have a letter of engagement? Do you have a breakdown of the hours worked by you/your staff along with charge out rates? If the client is pulling a fast one I'd make it difficult for them but be reasonable otherwise.

Advertisement