Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lone parent, rent supplement, full time education.

Options
  • 15-02-2013 8:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

Can a lone parent get rent allowance if she is to start full time education? I would have to move from my parents house to Co. Waterford and will have no way of affording rent for myself or my child. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Can we presume that you will apply for BTEA http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/back_to_education_allowance.html

The rules for rent allowance state that "
    You may get Rent Supplement if you have been living for 6 months (183 days) out of the last 12 months in one, or a combination, of the following:
    • Accommodation for homeless people.
    • Private rented accommodation. You can combine time living in more than one rented accommodation to satisfy the 6 months (183 days). You must be able to show that you could afford the rent at the beginning of your tenancy and that you could have continued to pay rent but are unable to do so because of a change in your circumstances which occurred after you started renting."
    From here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

I think you need to talk to the CWO in your area and ask their opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Bear in mind you ll need to weigh up your options. If you switch over BTEA you can keep the rent allowance but dont get the maint grant. If you stay on lone parents you lose out on rent all. but can get the maint grant on top of your normal payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

Owryan wrote: »
    Bear in mind you ll need to weigh up your options. If you switch over BTEA you can keep the rent allowance but dont get the maint grant. If you stay on lone parents you lose out on rent all. but can get the maint grant on top of your normal payment.

I don't qualify for a grant because I currently live with my parents even though I'm a mature student.

Advertisement