Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The most shocking thing you have ever seen in a comic

Options
  • 15-02-2013 2:25am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭

SPOILER ALERT! Having recently read issue 100 of The Walking Dead, it is clear in my mind that it is the most disturbing issue of a comic book I have ever seen.
    Glenn receives a barbed wire encrusted baseball bat to the head, completely destroying his brain despite his cries for his wife.
    Gripping and sad, it blew me away. Have you ever felt this way reading a comic, and if so, what comic was it!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Fysh Sez: If you want to post spoilers in this thread (or anywhere else, you must use the spoiler tag. This can be done by either writing the word "spoiler" wrapped in square brackets, or by clicking the "spoiler" button in the post editor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

SPOILER ALERT! Having recently read issue 100 of The Walking Dead, it is clear in my mind that it is the most disturbing issue of a comic book I have ever seen.
    Glenn receives a barbed wire encrusted baseball bat to the head, completely destroying his brain despite his cries for his wife.
    Gripping and sad, it blew me away. Have you ever felt this way reading a comic, and if so, what comic was it!

Thanks for ruining that for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭twilightzone

Meatwad wrote: »

Thanks for ruining that for me.

I did say SPOILER ALERT in capital letters. You fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Unfortunately for me once my eyes see a few sentences,the brain kind of absorbs the whole thing and not just the first few words ,as I don't read with my fingers under the text.
    Fortunately though I've abused substances enough that I'll forget I read it very quickly.
    Might help if you put spoiler aleart in any future thread titles though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Mod Note: You posted a spoiler in plain text, in the opening post of the thread, with no warning in the thread title. Having the word SPOILER in the same paragraph as the spoiler itself is not a good way of preventing accidental spoilage; please use the spoiler tag function in future. Berating someone else for your failure to use the correct forum function is not a good response to this, and I don't want to see any more squabbling along those lines in here. If you're unsure about what conduct is acceptable in this forum, please read the Charter. If you need help with how to use tags or other board functions, please ]consult the FAQ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Warren Ellis; Black Gas
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackgas
    Neonatal nurses biting into the belly of premie newborns like they were large hotdogs

Crossed; Garth Ennis & David Lapham
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossed_%28comics%29

It is the most Gore comic I have ever read, really really not for the faint of heart.
    First issue opens with a 'crossed' ****ing a dolphin in the blow hole while disemboweling the dolphin and worse get done to humans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭twilightzone

Morag wrote: »
    Warren Ellis; Black Gas
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackgas
    Neonatal nurses biting into the belly of premie newborns like they were large hotdogs

Crossed; Garth Ennis & David Lapham
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossed_%28comics%29

It is the most Gore comic I have ever read, really really not for the faint of heart.
    First issue opens with a 'crossed' ****ing a dolphin in the blow hole while disemboweling the dolphin and worse get done to humans.

Nasty stuff. Are you a fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

I'm a Warren Ellis fan and it was his only comic on zombies to date, but I still wasn't expecting that.

As for Crossed, well I am a Clive Barker fan but Crossed, crosses certain lines even for me, still it's nice to know that I do have limits and Crossed hit them hard and fast so much so I never got further then half way through Volume 2.

I remember the
    dolphin thing
    from Crossed: Wish You Were Here alright, it's a moment that's both shocking and kind of hilarious (thank you Spurrier for your inventive swearing!). I found that a lot of the Crossed stuff I've seen has felt a bit too much like juvenile shocks for the sake of it - hell, the whole concept sounds a bit too much like Ennis at his laziest (he can do some great character writing when he wants to, but he all too frequently decides that provocative imagery is a good substitute for character or narrative).

That being said, the bit towards the end of Wish You Were Here with
    the story about the nun and Shaky's reasoning for wanting to go off the island
    worked for me, as a shocking moment that didn't feel cheap.

In Transmetropolitan,
    Vita Severn's murder
    was pretty shocking, in no small part down to how it was depicted.

Having said that, I still don't think anything in any medium is ever going to top Takashi Miike's "Visitor Q". That film is pretty much Miike working his way through a list of every possible taboo he can think of and breaking it on screen, with hilarious results :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

A graphic birth scene in Alan Moore's Miracleman. Was quite controversial at the time (mid 80s, iirc). Attracted an equal amount of plaudits and complaints to the Eclipse postbag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bistoman

I dont think I need a spoiler for this BUT Dr Manhation's
    8 Ft dick
    in Watchmen has to go down as an "Oh MY F*****G GOD" Moment :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

mike65 wrote: »

What the Hell was that? I recognize the artwork from Battle and 2000 AD But I dont remember This, Was It Scream?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Kids Rule Okay was in the first incarnation of Action comic (before it got merged with Battle in Nov 1977)

http://www.sevenpennynightmare.co.uk/?p=196

Kids Rule Okay was in the first incarnation of Action comic (before it got merged with Battle in Nov 1977)

http://www.sevenpennynightmare.co.uk/?p=196
    Yeh I Just found it on Wikipeadia , I have never heard of this before, Thanks for bringing it to My attention, I'll have to have a look around for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Bistoman wrote: »
    Yeh I Just found it on Wikipeadia , I have never heard of this before, Thanks for bringing it to My attention, I'll have to have a look around for this.

This long out of print book has the full Kids Rule Ok story reprinted in it, including the couple of stories that were never published because the comic was pulled off the shelves. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Action-The-Story-Violent-Comic/dp/1852860235/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362427084&sr=8-1

If you look around you might find a cheaper copy somewhere, its worth a read.

Amazingly enough I went into the Wax Museum today and found that exact copy, Action No 31 1976. form what I have read it was that story that finally got the comic banned. Later they rehashed the story's called them scifi and launched 2000AD :)

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Fysh wrote: »
    I found that a lot of the Crossed stuff I've seen has felt a bit too much like juvenile shocks for the sake of it - hell, the whole concept sounds a bit too much like Ennis at his laziest
    Was reading recently that alot of the stuff he's depicted he's gotten from UN reports on atrocities. I've yet to decide if this makes it worse or not. I stopped reading after the second arc (
    with the kid tearing the foetus from her belly, eating it and saying "Daddy let me keep the good meat")
    as I just couldn't handle it any more.
    The gutting and sleeping in the fat lad she'd just ridden in a Empire Strikes Back homage made me laugh like a drain for some reason though

Advertisement