Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DOES ANYONE READ BOOKS OR RESEARCH THE SUBJECT ANYMORE?

Options
  • 14-02-2013 11:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭

It seems that everyone in the paranormal world nowadays watches a few episodes of 'Ghost Hunters' and thinks they are an expert, with no further research or knowledge. What are your views?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

I dont have an opinion on it. If people cant be arsed thinking, theorising and experimenting then thats their own loss imo. I lied then ... i do have an opinion on it.

theres some great info on http://assap.ac.uk/

this is an interesting breakdown of current paranormal 'research' techniques

http://assap.ac.uk/newsite/articles/Scientific%20ghost%20research.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭twilightzone

maccored wrote: »
    I dont have an opinion on it. If people cant be arsed thinking, theorising and experimenting then thats their own loss imo. I lied then ... i do have an opinion on it.

I agree, it's something that all new investigators need to be aware of, people need to do some research first because we don't know what is out there!

i say if they want to 'investigate' (shouldnt that be 'experiment in') a house cus its creepy, then thats fine by me. Just never tell me anything about it, ever.

• Advertisement

i say if they want to 'investigate' (shouldnt that be 'experiment in') a house cus its creepy, then thats fine by me. Just never tell me anything about it, ever.

Does that mean you disagree with publishing legitimate findings? :eek:

from a house thats haunted because it looks like it should be? Unless of course they go with the intention of data collection .... then anywhere - haunted or not - is important ... but none of them do. Many go investigating because the place looks like it has a ghost in it.

from a house thats haunted because it looks like it should be? Unless of course they go with the intention of data collection .... then anywhere - haunted or not - is important ... but none of them do. Many go investigating because the place looks like it has a ghost in it.

Agreed. Most investigations that I have done that I consider to have potential paranormal activity have been new houses.

Im working on an idea at the minute that was inspired after reading this - http://spinvestigations.org/Medium_Experiment.pdf . Its basically a medium doing her thing, while the immediate environment (in this case normal everyday emf levels) was being datalogged. The results are quite interesting and suggests that regardless of mediums, ghosts, spirits - whatever, the emf field changed significantly during the times the medium was 'communicating' - so something's going on. Its better just reading the paper.

It highlights a valid point in that without datalogging the information for later retrieval and analysisation, then whats the point of checking it in the first place? You dont know what normal is in the first place.

What i want to do is to ask if different environmental changes correspond to recorded paranormal events ... for example, if the recorder picks up an evp and the environmental data recorded at exactly the same time changes, then that might suggest that one may be linked to the other. Depending on the sensor info (detecting radio signals is very important when it comes to evps) you can make whatever deduction that has to be made. at least though, someone else can double check that data.

So I am in the process of making an Arduino device that will be powered via ethernet, have a tiny webserver built in and which will record data in the ELF, EMF, RF fields onto an SD card. Put one of these beside a video camera and you can start collecting data. Have five or six of them and monitor them from the network, remotely.

The downside is the need to make a dataset from which you can deduce what average, standard, weird, whatever variation of information you record so you can start working out what normal is. Could take experimenting in a few hundred or more locations before being able to even really start looking at the data itself - but one has to start somewhere.

Im working on an idea at the minute that was inspired after reading this - http://spinvestigations.org/Medium_Experiment.pdf . Its basically a medium doing her thing, while the immediate environment (in this case normal everyday emf levels) was being datalogged. The results are quite interesting and suggests that regardless of mediums, ghosts, spirits - whatever, the emf field changed significantly during the times the medium was 'communicating' - so something's going on. Its better just reading the paper.

It highlights a valid point in that without datalogging the information for later retrieval and analysisation, then whats the point of checking it in the first place? You dont know what normal is in the first place.

What i want to do is to ask if different environmental changes correspond to recorded paranormal events ... for example, if the recorder picks up an evp and the environmental data recorded at exactly the same time changes, then that might suggest that one may be linked to the other. Depending on the sensor info (detecting radio signals is very important when it comes to evps) you can make whatever deduction that has to be made. at least though, someone else can double check that data.

So I am in the process of making an Arduino device that will be powered via ethernet, have a tiny webserver built in and which will record data in the ELF, EMF, RF fields onto an SD card. Put one of these beside a video camera and you can start collecting data. Have five or six of them and monitor them from the network, remotely.

The downside is the need to make a dataset from which you can deduce what average, standard, weird, whatever variation of information you record so you can start working out what normal is. Could take experimenting in a few hundred or more locations before being able to even really start looking at the data itself - but one has to start somewhere.

A very interesting theory, and one that will further backup electronic datalogging, alongside manual datalogging which has become a thing of the past. Differentiating between natural environmental changes and paranormal anomalies will be much easier, given the recorded occurance to correspond. Air Ion, EMF, and changes in the location's atmosphere (taking into account the environment, e.g. seaside location, high granite or limestone count, zinc, mercurial presence) need to be closer looked it in the study and research of the paranormal.

• Advertisement

precisely. I have at least two evps that I wish I had something recording RF to check them against. Initially it'll be great for debunking. It would take a good while I'd say before you could use the data for supporting any kind of theory. then again, if more people actually researched - and when I say 'research' i mean just go do it regardless of not having a clue, and force yourself to learn things (like, ive ordered all the parts, but ive no idea how to put what I described above together yet) - then it'd take less time overall.

Advertisement