Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swollen Macbook battery

Options
  • 14-02-2013 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34,274 ✭✭✭✭

I have a white mid-2007 Macbook, still in daily use. The battery has swollen quite a bit over the last few months. Not sure if I can justify the 140 euro cost of a new Apple battery given the age of the laptop itself. It's got the usual lower case cracking at the edges, and the screen is a bit on the dim side, but is otherwise OK. The laptop is used on the mains most of the time and still gives a couple of hours on battery (~400 cycles)

- Is this battery safe to keep using (fire risk etc.) ?

- Most online review I've read say that third party batteries are rubbish and a waste of money, dying within months - are there any decent ones?

The plan was to give this Macbook to the kids when I get around to replacing it, it'll need a battery of some sort in it...

241121.jpg

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Stop using it immediately and remove it before it destroys the trackpad. You can run the machine without the battery.

I would strongly recommend getting the official Apple replacement, but anything is better than what's in there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,274 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Oh. :(

I imagine it would be better to order from Apple online rather than go to CompuB? I don't want to buy a lithium battery that might have been lying around for a while as they start aging as soon as they're made.

Don't want the old battery hanging around the house though, if I order online do they accept the old battery back for recycling?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'm not sure how that works. If a courier delivers the battery from Apple maybe they'll take it. Or you could drop it into a WEEE centre, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,274 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ordered the battery Friday morning, got it Monday morning.
    Wasn't at home myself at the time so couldn't ask about recycling.
    Nothing in the packaging about it. I discharged the old battery and will just keep it in the shed until there's a WEEE collection locally again.

Advertisement