Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bra Shops Dublin: Big Cups and Small Back

Options
  • 14-02-2013 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Hey guys, do any of you have recommendations for bra shops in Dublin who do big cups and small back sizes? And more importantly, places that know how to measure you, ie don't try to add 4/5/6 inches to your back measurement and put you in a horrific bra size?

I'm around a 28GG but I want to get measured and most measurers like M&S try to put me in a 36E which swims around my back and gives me quadroboob. :(

Basically looking for a bra shop in Dublin that knows what they're talking about! Bramora are supposed to be good but on their website it says "Measure around the chest directly under the breast at a constant height with the cloth measuring tape. Add 5 inches to that measurement." It put me off completely!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

If you go in to bramora they don't measure like that. Often they ask what you're wearing at the moment and then go down a back and up a cup and see how that looks. They don't use the tape at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tigerblob

That's exactly the kind of place I'm looking for, Dotcomdolly. The thing on the website put me right off. But I'll try them if you reckon they won't use the tape! I'm desperate at this stage :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

tigerblob wrote: »
    That's exactly the kind of place I'm looking for, Dotcomdolly. The thing on the website put me right off. But I'll try them if you reckon they won't use the tape! I'm desperate at this stage :P

M&S say I'm a 36c, bramora 32dd :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

The Change stores in north Dublin are great. I get all my bras there now. They measure you properly with a tape.

I had never been measured before and was wearing a 36C. Turns out I'm a 32G!

Changing to the size they have solved my back/shoulder ache problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I went from a 36C/34D in M&S to a 32F in Bramora. They will try the bras on you and determine the best fit.

I also like Cupcakes in Ranelagh- they do a lot of lovely bras up to big cup sizes. House of Frasier generally have a good selection as well, but for getting measured I'd definitely recommend Bramora.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I can't recommend debenhams enough for dd+ bras, they do a big range of genuinely lovely ones, not the oversized poor selection in M&S
    you will get lower bands as well
    I don't know about measuring since I know well enough what fits me and try everything on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Debenhams have always been good for measuring with me.

M&S once told me I was a 38D. When I say I had boob spillage, more than half of my boobs were out of the bra, and the back was swimming on me. :pac:

Got re-measured in Debenhams, told I'm a 34H, and all of the 34H bras I buy fit very well.

Debenhams DO measure with a tape (they did for me anyway), but they also measure based on what you're wearing. So if I go in wearing a 34F, they'll give me a 36G or whatever to try, and will only use the tape if they can't find a bra to fit me comfortably.

You ladies have me wanting to try Bramora now!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    Got re-measured in Debenhams, told I'm a 34H, and all of the 34H bras I buy fit very well.

Debenhams DO measure with a tape (they did for me anyway), but they also measure based on what you're wearing. So if I go in wearing a 34F, they'll give me a 36G or whatever to try, and will only use the tape if they can't find a bra to fit me comfortably.

You ladies have me wanting to try Bramora now!

I had issues in Debenhams in Henry St with a fitter - was trying on a Freya Deco (a bra known to be sized inaccurately but I was making a best guess at size) and asked her was I quadraboobing - a pertinent issue because I was happy with the band and I was already in the largest cup size. She instantly tried to tell me that my 30.5" underbust meant I should be in a 36E... completely wrong, liable to wreck my shoulders from the straps taking all the weight, and has the potential to aggravate my back injury. I'm not a huge fan of Debenhams own-brand bras, I find they are a poor shape for me and the sizing is out on them (band and cup both run small, and they cut into the top of my boobs even when the rest of the cup is the right size).

I've been fitted by Bramora, Peaches and Cream, and Bravissimo in London, and tend to be either 30GG or 30H, with the odd 32GG in a tight band, depending on the style of bra. They've never taken out a tape in Bramora any time I've been there, always gone by how the bra actually fitted on me.

There's a very good fitting guide on the A Bra That Fits subreddit too which is useful if you want to get an idea before shopping of where you should be. You could try fitting from that and then ordering online from Brastop or Figleaves...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I had issues in Debenhams in Henry St with a fitter - was trying on a Freya Deco (a bra known to be sized inaccurately but I was making a best guess at size) and asked her was I quadraboobing - a pertinent issue because I was happy with the band and I was already in the largest cup size. She instantly tried to tell me that my 30.5" underbust meant I should be in a 36E... completely wrong, liable to wreck my shoulders from the straps taking all the weight, and has the potential to aggravate my back injury. I'm not a huge fan of Debenhams own-brand bras, I find they are a poor shape for me and the sizing is out on them (band and cup both run small, and they cut into the top of my boobs even when the rest of the cup is the right size).

I've been fitted by Bramora, Peaches and Cream, and Bravissimo in London, and tend to be either 30GG or 30H, with the odd 32GG in a tight band, depending on the style of bra. They've never taken out a tape in Bramora any time I've been there, always gone by how the bra actually fitted on me.

There's a very good fitting guide on the A Bra That Fits subreddit too which is useful if you want to get an idea before shopping of where you should be. You could try fitting from that and then ordering online from Brastop or Figleaves...

Yikes, I guess I got very lucky being well measured in there so!

I've been fitted in Bravissimo a few years back when I was in London and they were pretty accurate, too. Really must try Bramora in a few weeks. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

bramora are fantastic, can't recommend them highly enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I found bramora ok - she didn't have any bras to fit me so told me what size I was and then said actually try these... And proceeded to try and squash me into the wrong cup size.

I had a great experience in peaches & cream with the younger lady but have heard not great things about the older last who works there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I quite like Debenhams for bigger bras, you definitely need to try on (but then if you've a bigger bust you probably never buy without trying anyway!!) but I like that I can go in there and raid the sale section and get a set for the same price I would have in Penneys. I have to say some of their own brand bras don't wash well though. But they're definitely worth a look.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I like the Debenhams bigger bust range. Gorgeous I believe it's called! I found the two packs of t-shirt bras to be good value. I was 32DD at the time and didn't want to spend huge money on bras.

What sort of pricing would you be looking at in Bramora? I need to be measured but not sure if I should try there or go to Arnotts. Have always had good bra purchases in Arnotts.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Twee. wrote: »
    What sort of pricing would you be looking at in Bramora? I need to be measured but not sure if I should try there or go to Arnotts. Have always had good bra purchases in Arnotts.

Fairly standard Freya/Panache/Cleo/Curvy Kate pricing really. I paid €40 for a Panache balconnette the last time I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Twee. wrote: »
    I like the Debenhams bigger bust range. Gorgeous I believe it's called! I found the two packs of t-shirt bras to be good value. I was 32DD at the time and didn't want to spend huge money on bras.

I would go with Debenhams or Arnotts too. M&S bras aren't very good support wise.

Advertisement