Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exceptional Needs Payment

Options
  • 14-02-2013 8:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭

Does anyone know if a person who is broke and on JSA can get assistance from the CWO to get a cooker repaired?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,022 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

daver123 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if a person who is broke and on JSA can get assistance from the CWO to get a cooker repaired?

I think it is possible yes

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

You'll have to give them a breakdown of your income (JSA + rent/mortgage allowance if applicable) against your outgoings. The CWO starts from a position that your JSA is generous enough that you can live on it and take enough out of it to pay for 'domestic maintenance' costs.

What typically makes it more difficult to live off your JSA are weekly costs that aren't covered by any form of social welfare payment. For example, if you're paying back debt - loans, credit card repayments, income tax from previous years. Or perhaps exceptionally high travel costs. Or you require special foods due to allergies.

They give emergency payments, but they have to be convinced that you can't pay it out of your existing JSA. Get every slip of paper (rent/mortgage bills, travel tickets, utility bills, supermarket receipts for food, receipts for clothing, shoes etc, electricity and gas bills etc., etc.) and demonstrate that your weekly outgoings eat up your income entirely, leaving no room for exceptional events.

Also, if you have a bank account, make photocopies of them for the last 6 months to prove your income doesn't exceed what you've stated and that any standing orders/direct debits you claim you make are genuine.

Advertisement