Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which fighters loss were you/ would you be most affected by?

Options
  • 14-02-2013 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭

That last pacman defeat, i walked a round for a couple of days winded, unable to breath properly.

I can;T imagine how I would feel if Vladamir lost any of his upcoming fights!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

when Pacquaio knocked Hatton out i was fairly upset. Then there was the doping rumours that came out shortly afterwards as well ,and it coincided with my new deep hatred of anything "pacquaio"

another one was Alex Arthur vs Michael Gomez.

Arthur entered the ring as "Amazing" Alex Arthur, but after a 7 round beating he left as simply Alex. Gomez, was never on Arthurs level, never in a million years. If they had fought 20 more times, Arthur would have won them all. But credit where it was due, Gomez was "left hook happy" that night, and pretty much finished Arthurs career. I truly detested the guy for it. He was, and is an absolute scumbag. I was in the National Stadium for a fight that he clearly through. That was a horrible night for me.

I know my father is similar enough. He actually cried the night McGuigan lost his world title over in the heat of Las Vegas. I actually remember watching him cry, poor oul bugger, my dad, not Barry, lol

I think modern day wise, if Frampton lost to Quigg id throw a wobbly. I just think Frampton is such a likeable chap, and obviosuly talented. If the inferior Quigg (in my eyes he is), did a number on Carl, i would be proper upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

I hope frampton loses something very fake about him. Scott quigg will do a job on him. I was disapointed when Amir Kahn lost to Garcia

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I was only a small child, but when mcguigan list to cruz it was heart breaking and the desert and heat was the biggest enemy I could have had, Tyson losing to Douglas was shocking but was more suprise than upsetting

More modern times, Bernard losing to kiko sucked.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 fraservali

When Cotto got pounded in the Margarito fight. To see him after walkin back to his corner that was very painful as hes my fave fighter. Couldnt get me head around it for a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

When Apollo lost to Drago and was killed ... It was supposed to be an exhibition !!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 fraservali

TheNap wrote: »
    When Apollo lost to Drago and was killed ... It was supposed to be an exhibition !!!!!!

Lol true Drago was a ruthless bastard

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I remember my family being absolutely delighted when Hamed got completely schooled by Barrera. Personally I remember also being delighted when various English hypejobs were found out and the Sky bubble was burst. I was living over here at the time of the Hatton/Mayweather fight and literally everyone had into their heads that Hatton was a sure thing to win. I made a mint in bets. (I really liked Hatton though.) Haye getting found out against Wladimir was also great fun, as was watching Khan getting exposed yet again at the hands of the mediocre Garcia.

Gloating aside, I was very upset watching Dunne get KOd comprehensivly by Poonsawat.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

fraservali wrote: »
    When Cotto got pounded in the Margarito fight. To see him after walkin back to his corner that was very painful as hes my fave fighter. Couldnt get me head around it for a few days.

Same, was absolutely gutted during and after this fight for Cotto.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Watching Mike Tyson get KO'd by Lewis was upsetting simply to see a once lethal and amazing fighter reduced to the shell he was against Lewis was tough to watch, also Hatton getting KO'd by Senchenko his post fight interview was really upsetting to watch as he was such a really likeable guy and i always loved watching him fight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

FTA69 wrote: »
    I remember my family being absolutely delighted when Hamed got completely schooled by Barrera. Personally I remember also being delighted when various English hypejobs were found out and the Sky bubble was burst. I was living over here at the time of the Hatton/Mayweather fight and literally everyone had into their heads that Hatton was a sure thing to win. I made a mint in bets. (I really liked Hatton though.) Haye getting found out against Wladimir was also great fun, as was watching Khan getting exposed yet again at the hands of the mediocre Garcia.

Barrera taking Naz to school is still incredibly satisfying to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Gatti getting battered by Mayweather was tough to watch. Gatti is one of the reasons I love boxing, the Ward trilogy, the Ruelas fight, and to see him taken apart like that wasn't nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Tyson V Douglas was shocking.

I was genuinely worried for Hatton after the Pac KO.

Tyson V McBride was kinda depressing

Dunne V Kiko

Rahman V Lewis was a shock

Oscar V Pac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Back in the day I used to love watching John "the beast" Mugabi. Watching Hagler dismantle him was a bit of a let down but the biggest disappointment was with his next title fight at light-middleweight when a thumb in the eye by Duane Thomas? ended the fight in the 3rd and put paid to any Hagler rematch.

Back when boxing was on "proper" tv so everyone could watch.

McGuigan v Cruz
    Bomber v McLennan
    Arguello v Pryor

All disappointments where the better man lost

• Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭megadodge

Choochtown wrote: »
    Bomber v McLennan

Who is Bomber?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Was gutted when hatton lost.
    Felt a bit down when pacquiao demolished de hoya aswell.
    Felt deflated when pacquiao lost it really took the shine off him and floyds potential fight.
    Id love to see mayweather get beaten but it would shock me aswell as it would mark the end of an era for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Choochtown

megadodge wrote: »
    Who is Bomber?

Bomber Graham. Sorry I meant Julian Jackson not McLennan.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,080 ✭✭✭✭walshb

McGuigan's loss in Las Vegas. It was on such a humane level. Scary stuff watching him in there. He himself looked really scared. Never seen that fear/distress before with the actual boxer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

First time I watched the Benn v McClellan fight was pretty shocking, to see such a good fighter nearly dying in the ring was hard to watch

Maybe I was young and naive but I didn't think McClellan was that hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,080 ✭✭✭✭walshb

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    First time I watched the Benn v McClellan fight was pretty shocking, to see such a good fighter nearly dying in the ring was hard to watch

That was a very scary night. To watch Gerald slowly dying. He knew it, and had no option but to quit. The blinking, loose gum-shield and overall body language was telling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Bench Press

T-K-O wrote: »
    Maybe I was young and naive but I didn't think McClellan was that hurt.
    jesus man, he nearly died and what's more he knew what was happening and went down to quit, a man of his calibre would never go down like that unless something was seriously wrong, a genuinely frighting sight to see him gradually collapse into unconsciousness the corner

jesus man, he nearly died and what's more he knew what was happening and went down to quit, a man of his calibre would never go down like that unless something was seriously wrong, a genuinely frighting sight to see him gradually collapse into unconsciousness the corner

I must have been 11 / 12 at the time, not saying it didn't happen but its just not my memory of the fight.

I could never watch the fight again after hearing the terrible news.

Micheal Watson was the one that really got me, Eubank really poleaxed him with that uppercut, and he should not have been let out for the last round, his corner were a complete disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Micheal Watson was the one that really got me, Eubank really poleaxed him with that uppercut, and he should not have been let out for the last round, his corner were a complete disgrace

Yes, that was disgusting.

All experts after the event - Hindsight is 20/20 !!!

The cornermen are not brain surgeons, how could they know the seriousness of the situation and Watson had been floored at the very end of round 11 when a mile ahead on points. I seriously doubt there's a cornerman in the world who wouldn't have sent him out for the last. It wasn't as if he wasn't able to walk or stand properly, Eubank just jumped on him and finished it off. The damage was already done from the single uppercut.

As for the Benn/McClellan fight, there were never any actual pictures of Gerald gradually collapsing into unconsciousness, there were passing references by the interviewer as Benn was being interviewed and then pictures showed a group of people gathered round him. Bit by bit the seriousness of the situation became apparant.

Watson was staggering around the ring with glazed eyes after getting off his stool, he could barely comprehend to touch gloves for the last round, the fight should have been stopped

He wasn't "staggering around the ring after getting off his stool". He wasn't in brilliant shape either, but if it was as obvious as you said the ref would have stopped it before it even started and the commentators would have been calling for it not to go on and that was definitely not the case.

And I repeat I don't think there's a cornerman in the world that wouldn't have sent him out for the last. That's the boxing game. Revisionism isn't worth a damn.

Advertisement