Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the terms used for vikings in medieval irish texts

Options
  • 14-02-2013 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

i am wandering what terms were used for vikings in medieval irish texts. i have come across these:

Lochlannaigh, Uigingigh, Vairingiaigh, dubh gentii, din gentii, Dubgaill and Finngaill

are there any more?

i am particularly interested in etymology of the word Lochlannaigh. i believe this means lake people? if this is try why were vikings called lake people?

also i am looking for any use of the term Vairingiaigh in the irish texts and would be grateful for any links to digital resources.

also i have recently come across mentions of vikings (in british anals) and viking settlements in ireland dating from 6th century, which confirms the theory that vikings existed in ireland before the 9th century when they were first mentioned in irish texts. any opinion on htis?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I thonk Lochlann means from the land of lakes. I think the Fomorians in Irish mythology were based on Vikings or similar sea raiders.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dublinviking

if the term rally means from the land of the lakes then this creates a problem. which land? Norway has lots of lakes. but so does finland and lithyania. and pomerania has even more lakes. there were sea raiders coming from all of these lands. why is this term then always interpreted as scandinavia? also is it possible that the term actually means people who live on lakes in ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I think Lochlann is a Scottish term and Vikings integrated into Scottish areas so that's where it may have originated.
    As I understand Vikings that got to Ireland were mainly Norwegian and Danish but they could have had other nationalities in their entourage.
    The main Viking raiding era seems to be well documented butof course there could have been earlier incursions.

Advertisement