Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out sick from work

Options
  • 14-02-2013 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi I was just wondering if I am legally obliged to tell my boss why I am out sick
    Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Does the idea of not telling your boss your not going to come in sounds like a good idea to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cuana

clarkep10 wrote: »
    Hi I was just wondering if I am legally obliged to tell my boss why I am out sick
    Thanks

Have a little respect and tell them you cannot work

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Nody wrote: »
    Does the idea of not telling your boss your not going to come in sounds like a good idea to you?
    cuana wrote: »
    Have a little respect and tell them you cannot work

OP clearly says "why I'm out sick"

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

I think op might be referring to the details of his illness not whether or not he plans to let his boss know.

I don't think you're required to give the details op just the usual rules apply regarding doctors note after two consecutive days etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It's to late/early is my excuse :P

The answer is no but expect to be asked anyway (esp. if it is before/after a bank holiday/weekend/holiday).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cuana

OP clearly says "why I'm out sick"

whoops!! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 clarkep10

Thanks for your help I did phone in sick the day before I was meant to work but was agressivly asked for my illness which I feel is my own business

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Thanks for your help I did phone in sick the day before I was meant to work but was agressivly asked for my illness which I feel is my own business

Tell him you've go a contagious rash!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,143 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The VEC informed us that our doctor's note had to specify what the problem was. Everyone, including senior staff responsible for dealing with sick notes thought this was a liberty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

You're work would need to know on health and safety grounds at the very least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

+1 H&S

As a manager I need to make due allowance for my workers if they have health problems. For example, if someone has a bad back, is suffering from work related stress etc. Additionally, if the illness is communicable, I would need to take steps to protect other staff.

Also for your own sake, it is in your interest to let your manager know particularly if you have a reoccurring health problem. Your manager is always more likely to be sympathetic to repeated days off due to a know issue rather than a series of mystery illnesses. For example, my current employer treats all absences due to an single illness or condition as one incident of absenteeism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Well it is and it isn't. Your boss is within their rights to determine if you are actually sick especially if you get paid sick leave. Now that's not to say he can be aggressive in his questioning you, but he can ask why you need a sick day. If it is embarrassing for you or very personal at least say that just so they don't think you are pulling a sickie when you just fancy a duvet day.

If you visit the doctor and explain that you don't want to divulge the cause of the illness to your boss they can put something sufficiently vague on your sick cert and then that is what you tell your boss too.

If your illness however has some bearing on your workplace or your ability to do your job then you really should confide in your boss however uncomfortable or personal it might feel.

And if you are female and your boss is male just tell him "women's trouble"...trust me, he won't question you further! ;)

Advertisement