Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteering in Museums/Heritage

Options
  • 14-02-2013 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi

I am a first year College student looking to do the Gaisce (Presidents) award. Part of the Gaisce requires me to volunteer in a some aspect relating to the community.

Since I am studying archaeology I would be very interested in any volunteering opportunities available in either a museum or heritage situation.

However I am unsure how to best apply for such a position and whether or not they actually want volunteers.

Any advice or suitable locations in Dublin would be greatly appreciated

All the best

Durz0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Durz0 Blint

Anyone???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

What did you try so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Durz0 Blint

The national museum and the little museum.

I was more getting information about what the best way to apply is and if it's the done thing.
    Also if anyone has any experience of doing so and if so then what are my chances like as I would like to do my gaisce in an area I am interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

People would kill to get volunteering positions in the National Museum. I did a long time ago in Collins Barracks (didn't need to kill anyone for it). Was recommended by a lecturer and helped her do research there. Basically they don't want anyone unskilled in there so I'd say forget about those areas.

Why don't you contact the Heritage Officer and offer to help out with Heritage week. There's always lots of planning needed for that. Maybe do some research first and see what area would be best for you and offer to assist with that. Most volunteers cost time and money to train up so you need to go to an organisation with a plan as to how you're going to assist them.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭da_shivsta

Exactly, many of us WOULD kill to even get a foot in the door at National Museum. I know they need people for cataloging, but doubt they will accept someone completely unskilled. Even people like me with a degree in Archaeology finds it hard. Also, you would need to be Garda vetted which, for me last time, took 6 months! I didn't even have to make any corrections to my application, it just can be so slow!!

Another option is to go to your local castle/heritage site. They might want a tour guide or something which, with a bit of research, is probably an achievable role for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement