Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wife working

Options
  • 14-02-2013 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

i just lost my Job, my wife works and has income of 54k Gross ! Will I get anything on the dole ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Very unlikely that you will get JSA. But if you have an entitlement to JSB, then you should qualify for something. Bear in mind that the rules for qualification are changing practically annually, so have a look at www.welfare.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Above reply is incorrect. If you've paid your stamps you'll automatically get job seekers for the first 12 months - your wifes income doesnt come into it. If at that time you are still out of work you will be means tested and based on your wifes income you wont get anything.

Now if you were self employed, its a different story.

https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Jobseeker's-Benefit.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭inlikeflynn86

Above reply is incorrect. If you've paid your stamps you'll automatically get job seekers for the first 12 months - your wifes income doesnt come into it. If at that time you are still out of work you will be means tested and based on your wifes income you wont get anything.

is it not 9 months??

is it not 9 months??

its 312 days at the minute - not quite a year, but they refer to it as 12 monts on the welfare site. There was something in the Budget that this was being reduced to 9 months but I dont think its been implemented yet. Either way, if hes a normal paye worker with the required stamps, he will get job seekers benefit, wifes income has no bearing for this initial time period.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Arenal

I have just applied for JA. Was previously self employed (taxi driver) and my partner earns 48,000 per year. Is there a possibility that I will not be eligible for JA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Arenal wrote: »
    I have just applied for JA. Was previously self employed (taxi driver) and my partner earns 48,000 per year. Is there a possibility that I will not be eligible for JA.

Yes. From the figures you quote, it is unlikely you'll get a penny.

Ouch. You probably wont get anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Arenal

System is so screwed up. After paying the mortgage, car loan and various other bills we're usually lucky if there is é200 left to spend. The fact that there are thousands like me in a similar if not worse situation does little to appease me!! :mad:

System is so screwed up. After paying the mortgage, car loan and various other bills we're usually lucky if there is é200 left to spend. The fact that there are thousands like me in a similar if not worse situation does little to appease me!! :mad:

sorry for your troubles. the system is most definitely very unfair on the self employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Count your blessing if I had 200 left after all those bills I be delighted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

its 312 days at the minute - not quite a year, but they refer to it as 12 monts on the welfare site. There was something in the Budget that this was being reduced to 9 months but I dont think its been implemented yet. Either way, if hes a normal paye worker with the required stamps, he will get job seekers benefit, wifes income has no bearing for this initial time period.

If OP is making a new jsb claim this month then they will only be paid for either 6 or 9 months depending on the number of contributions they have. In order to have an entitlement to 312 days of jsb they need to be in payment for 156 days at the beginning of April. He will not be entitled to an adult dependant rate or child dependant rate as his spouse earns too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Someday

If OP is making a new jsb claim this month then they will only be paid for either 6 or 9 months depending on the number of contributions they have.

How are Contributions calculated ?

I have worked for 15 years, spend some time in the UK and Australia and came back 4 years ago, signed on for 10 weeks and worked in ROI since. I would have about 12 years Contributions in total since I started working!

If you've paid stamp in 2011, then you should qualify for JSB which is NOT means tested.

Thanks but JSB length depends on Contributions, so would i get it for 6 months or 9 months with the new system ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Above post in NOT incorrect. You will not get JSB for 12 months any more. See Eastbono's post. Thats the current correct position.

Someday wrote: »
    Thanks but JSB length depends on Contributions, so would i get it for 6 months or 9 months with the new system ?

Read the below. Take note of the info contained on the link added.

From the Welfare website:

Budget 2013

The duration of Jobseeker's Benefit will be reduced by 3 months with effect from 3 April 2013. For people with 260 or more PRSI contributions paid, it will reduce from 12 months to 9 months. For people with fewer than 260 PRSI contributions paid, it will reduce from 9 months to 6 months.
    Claimants getting Jobseeker's Benefit for 6 months or more on 3 April 2013 (or 3 months for people with fewer than 260 contributions) will not be affected.
    This measure is not yet in effect and legislation is required to bring it into effect.

If OP is making a new jsb claim this month then they will only be paid for either 6 or 9 months depending on the number of contributions they have.

How are Contributions calculated ?

I have worked for 15 years, spend some time in the UK and Australia and came back 4 years ago, signed on for 10 weeks and worked in ROI since. I would have about 12 years Contributions in total since I started working!

I still don't know from my post above what i wll receive ?

Did you read the link? It should be a simple matter to calculate the contributions you've made. Look at your previous P60's...

TBH at this stage i'd have my completed claim form submitted to my local welfare office, rather than faffing around on boards. Why dont you just go into them and see?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Arenal, have a look at the linked pages specifically for those self employed.

https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Self-Employed-and-Jobseekers-Supports.aspx#Jobseeker%27s_Allowance3

There may be something there which could be helpful....

Also here: http://www.selfemployedsupports.ie/

JB would seem to be out, as per this, but there is another scenario, depending on your employment record:
    Self-employed people pay Class S PRSI. Class S PRSI only covers you for certain social welfare payments. It does not cover you for Jobseeker’s Benefit.

However, if you worked as an employee in the last 4 years, you may have paid Class A PRSI and should apply to your Social Welfare Local Office for Jobseeker’s Benefit. Your Social Welfare Local Office will check their records to find out whether you have enough Class A contributions to get Jobseeker’s Benefit.

Also, the rules relating to JSA are basically the same for everyone, whether self-employed or not, they are means based, however, for self-employed, see this.....
    To get Jobseeker’s Allowance you must be:

Over 18 and under 66
    Unemployed
    Capable of work, available for work and genuinely seeking work
    Habitually resident
    Pass a means test

If you are self-employed, you may be entitled to Jobseeker's Allowance depending on your earnings from your business. You do not need to close your business or stop working as self-employed for you to get Jobseeker’s Allowance. You will get Jobseeker’s Allowance if your income is below a certain level.

I would check out JSA, based on the above.

Hope this was helpful.

• Advertisement

So €188 per week I will receive ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

If your average weekly earnings were €300 or greater in 2011 then you will receive €188.

Advertisement