Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Return of 'Thugby League"?

Options
  • 14-02-2013 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭

After last weekend's bruising second round, bans have been dished out to Rangi Chase (shamefully inadequate given nature of the offence and his previous), Julian Bosquet and Ben Cross. All these incidents were virtually identical in that they were essentially, reckless flying 'tackles' aimed at the head. Zak hardaker was concussed, and in the Bosquet incident Theo Fages actually stopped breathing for a period on the pitch.

Is it time that Super League banned the shoulder charge as the NRL have done and began taking extreme punitive measures against players who tackle recklessly? For me, this reform is past due and I worry that we are getting to the point where a player is going to be seriously injured or killed in one of these appalling incidents.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Is it a case of physicality being misplaced, i.e; would banning it just cause the physicality to be ramped up in another part of the game. For me these things always boil down to how it's ref'd. Bans help, but really it's the ref that controls the game and how hot it gets, it should be their directive to snub it out directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Hopefully they won't wait until some kind of serious tradegy before they act. Looking at punishments dished out, I don't have a lot of faith in the governing body tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

The RLIF have banned the shoulder charge in all forms of international competition, effective from the world club challenge on friday night. Good news, I'd imagine the super league will have to implement it now, especially with the RLWC coming up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/21502550

Haven't been watching a lot lately but what do they mean by shoulder charging exactly?

Haven't been watching a lot lately but what do they mean by shoulder charging exactly?

Essentially this; (watch about 17 secs on)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxVdPYm4w4o.

Hitting a player full on, with the shoulders, making no attempt to wrap with the arms and often attacking the head.....

• Advertisement

So just crappy union type tackles allowed from now on? Pity.

So just crappy union type tackles allowed from now on? Pity.

Well yeah I guess...the example in the above vid was an example of clearly illegal/irresponsible play even under the old rules where a legitimate shoulder charge was allowed. Greg Inglis got 5 weeks for this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obdtb-_3MTE

...but to be honest I think, within the rules of the game at the time, there was nothing wrong with it. It's just the optics of such challenges are very, very poor and the prospect for catastrophic injury when it goes wrong are high. I know lots of folks in the game don't want the legit shoulder charge banned but, TBH, I think the game is physical enough without it and I really think, given the way things were going at he start of the SL this season and some of the challenges we were seeing, it was only a mater of time before a player suffered a career ending/life threatening injury.

Contact with the head shouldn't be allowed but the best hits are the shoulder charges to the chest, such a pity to remove them from the game.

Contact with the head shouldn't be allowed but the best hits are the shoulder charges to the chest, such a pity to remove them from the game.

Yeah, look I can see both sides of the argument, just where there's an issue of player safety,I'd tend to err on the side of caution, but then at the same time I'm aware you don't want to defang the game....difficult one..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Am I the only one who didn't think Bailey did much wrong to get sent off again Catalan?

Seen it several times and it looks like it might be fraction late but it's a proper attempt at a tackle.

• Advertisement

Am I the only one who didn't think Bailey did much wrong to get sent off again Catalan?

Seen it several times and it looks like it might be fraction late but it's a proper attempt at a tackle.

Totally agree, there was a previous incident which he got away with, so I don't know if the refs caught that on the screens and were looking for an excuse. Bailey,of course, does himself no favours but in this instance looked harsh.

Having said that he's been banned for 4 games...Oh and he's now been branded the 'most hated man' in RL by the Beeb...I fear, much like Gareth Hock, his rep precedes him; http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/22034937

The sending off tonight shows the bastardisation of the game in my view. Players need to take some responsibility for themselves. Over the last few years more and more players go low to take a catch because they know any tackle will then be "high". Just because someone makes contact with the head doesn't mean it was a high tackle. But someone got injured so of course the outrage and "safety" thing has to be played up.

Advertisement