Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ph.D. student just finished. Job not starting till August.

Options
  • 14-02-2013 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭

Hi there,

I was hoping someone could provide me with advice on this issue.

I have recently finished my Ph.D. and submitted my softbound (awaiting examination) thesis. This was submitted in early January. The examination process will not be completed until early April. I'm not actually a registered full time student at present as I did not register for the entire year. I was only registered until the thesis submission date. At least this is my understanding.

I have been searching for employment and have been lucky enough to find employment. However, my start date is not until August and I'm under quite a bit of financial pressure.

I was wondering if anyone knows would someone in my position be able to claim Jobseekers Allowance?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

You can sign on,you will need a letter from your collage confirming that you are finished the course.Plus the usual id ect http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_allowance.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

I presume you are waiting to do your viva. Get a letter stating that you have submitted you thesis and that you are no longer a full time student. One of the conditions of receiving f jobseekers is that you have to be available and actively seeking full time work. You will have to be looking for full time work even though you have employment from August.

Advertisement