Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing old PC with Win8Pro

Options
  • 14-02-2013 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'm replacing an old, slow PC (WinXP Pro) with a dazzling new PC with Win8pro to an existing domain connected to a Windows Server 2011.

Is this straight-forward or are there pitfalls I should be aware of?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

The major down pitfall it you will have to use Windows 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

Windows Server 2011?? It's either going to be 2008 or 2012... I

n either case, the only issue you'll be faced with is on the client side - moving from win xp to win 8 is a bit of a jump in UI terms.

You're probably also moving from x32 to x64 so you may have driver problems if you have older hardware.

Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

should be plain sailing,

new computer object will need to be added to active directory first I suppose, then joined to the domain

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭kaisersoze

Windows 8 is a dreadful OS. Thats the only problem.

I dont think its an appropriate OS for business.

I'd go with Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Well one thing that I give Win8 pro a +1 for in the business/production environment, is it comes with hyper-v for free :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭vedwards

It's been a nightmare! You're correct...Windows 8 is horrible to work with and I'm totally new to the desktop arrangement. Furthermore, I can't determine if they shipped me a standard win8 when I asked for win8pro, as I believe pro, ultimate or premium are required for client PCs.
    Secondly, I agree with the OP about 'old hardware', something I didn't as to the equation and it was important also that the motherboard had a standard PS2 connection for one of the pieces of hardware. Now I'll have to tell the already strapped business...Ermm..you'll have to get a new printer etc..

I didn't get it connected to the server as I had no username :mad:, only a password. I did however, see all the other clients on the system; some that I could access, even folders on the server!

Ah well, I'll get back to it Monday ;)

Thanks guys for your assistance, comments and advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

You should be able to identify what version you have from the product key sticker on the PC. There's only 4 editions and if you bought the PC with it you can only have Windows 8 or Win 8 Pro. Pro is intended for business usage and the former consumer it also won't join a domain.

You mention Server 2011 I'm assuming that's SBS 2011? If so you need to run the Connect Wizard to do it properly launch http://connect from the client. Again if it is SBS it should be fully uptodate before attempting this too.

I've used Windows 8 since beta and find it the best OS yet. I spend most of my time in the desktop but haven't had a or software or driver issue yet. In fact I don't recall having to look for a driver yet maybe video drivers but that was it. Metro isn't great on non touch screen devices but it's a great replacement for the start button on everything.

Just wondering what makes everyone here dislike it so much??

n0brain3r wrote: »
    You should be able to identify what version you have from the product key sticker on the PC. There's only 4 editions and if you bought the PC with it you can only have Windows 8 or Win 8 Pro. Pro is intended for business usage and the former consumer it also won't join a domain.

You mention Server 2011 I'm assuming that's SBS 2011? If so you need to run the Connect Wizard to do it properly launch http://connect from the client. Again if it is SBS it should be fully uptodate before attempting this too.

I've used Windows 8 since beta and find it the best OS yet. I spend most of my time in the desktop but haven't had a or software or driver issue yet. In fact I don't recall having to look for a driver yet maybe video drivers but that was it. Metro isn't great on non touch screen devices but it's a great replacement for the start button on everything.

Just wondering what makes everyone here dislike it so much??

Thanks n0brain3r, no sticker on external casing! Yes, it's SBS2011 and recently installed. Perhaps the 'dislike' is due to it's new feel? Just a thought.

Sugar...I've just gone to the Dell site they bought the PC from and it is only Windows 8 64-bit :o. Can I upgrade this OS do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

Once logged on from any screen Press Win Key + 'x' and then 'y' or click System it will tell you what version is installed. If it doesn't say Pro you'll need to upgrade. Click on "Get more features with a new edition of Windows" and Choose I want to buy the product key online and get your Credit Card ready!

Just some tips re Win 8 I use the following shortcuts daily and they really do enhance your experience of the OS
    • Win Key + 'd' drops you straight to the desktop
    • Win Key + 'x' is called the advanced context or something intuitive like that! Basically if you want to change something system related or get to the config of your PC it's like the old Admin Tools shortcut in previous versions
    • Win Key + 'i' Straight to Settings and more importantly the hidden power/shutdown menu
    • If you can't find a program just press Win Key and start typing and it will start searching immediately

n0brain3r wrote: »
    Once logged on from any screen Press Win Key + 'x' and then 'y' or click System it will tell you what version is installed. If it doesn't say Pro you'll need to upgrade. Click on "Get more features with a new edition of Windows" and Choose I want to buy the product key online and get your Credit Card ready!

Just some tips re Win 8 I use the following shortcuts daily and they really do enhance your experience of the OS
    • Win Key + 'd' drops you straight to the desktop
    • Win Key + 'x' is called the advanced context or something intuitive like that! Basically if you want to change something system related or get to the config of your PC it's like the old Admin Tools shortcut in previous versions
    • Win Key + 'i' Straight to Settings and more importantly the hidden power/shutdown menu
    • If you can't find a program just press Win Key and start typing and it will start searching immediately

Thanks n0brain3r, you've made my day! I could hardly sleep last night thinking of the consequences and woke up wondering how I going to resolve the situation in the event that it was not suitable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

since you are posting on servers I'm going to assume it's not being used as a workstation

Plan - B , convert the old PC to a virtual machine so you can use it during the change over

also keep the old PC until you are 110% sure you've tested all the mission critical apps and allowed for gotcha's

Sod's law says that the day it's wiped is the day someone comes looking for X

since you are posting on servers I'm going to assume it's not being used as a workstation

Plan - B , convert the old PC to a virtual machine so you can use it during the change over

also keep the old PC until you are 110% sure you've tested all the mission critical apps and allowed for gotcha's

Sod's law says that the day it's wiped is the day someone comes looking for X

Thanks Capt'n Midnight, you're correct, it's not a workstation, it's a standard desktop, used for at most three/four tasks. The person who will be using it has expressed a great dislike for Windows 8 (I've determined that it's not Win8 Pro thanks to n0brain3r) so it looks like I'll have to try and 'upgrade' to Win7 Pro.
    You're advice re: old PC is sound and as I have to cannibalise for time to time to keep the costs down (it's a not-for-profit organisation) I generally hoard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 RichardX13

I'm using windows 8 pro as a client of MS Server 2008 R2 and haven't faced any major problem. Windows 8 is a good OS, but yes the UI and layout needs a bit of time to adjust too. Boot up time is incredibly quick though I must say.

Advertisement