Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

could I work for free???!

Options
  • 14-02-2013 4:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm not trolling, I'm on the disability allowance,
    I know I can actually work a certain amount of hours and money,
    I want to work for free for experience type reasons, I'm 22. Not a 16 year old who receives disability allowance for those wondering, I don't mean to be smart, but I have bipolar and and numerous other medical problems. My bipolar is not affecting my decision to 'work for free'.
    The place of work is a convenience store add Chinese take away all in one.
    I have spoke to the owner and he said he'd pay me. but I'll WILL WORK FOR FREE
    again not being smart I'll explain more in the morning when I'm not so tired in the meanwhile I'd like peoples advice, I'll post more info on why I want to do it,at approximately at 12pm tomorrow.
    Thanks in advance,

sincerely,

iguy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iguy

advice please....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Try the social welfare forum. Why are you on disability if you have the ability to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,823 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

srsly78 wrote: »
    Try the social welfare forum. Why are you on disability if you have the ability to work?

Ahh, there's a difference between working full time with the stresses of performance expectations etc, and doing some hours for the experience / stimulation / social contact.

It's not the place of randoms on the internet to question the decisions of the health professionals who are invovled in decisions about qualifying for DA.

I'm moving this to State Benefits, because they can better advise about any issues you might have re part time work and DA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Disability payments

Usually, you get a disability payment because you cannot work. If you are getting Disability Allowance, Illness Benefit or Invalidity Pension you must get permission to work as a volunteer.

You must apply to the section that pays your social welfare payment before starting any voluntary work.
    You can work as a volunteer while you are getting Invalidity Pension or Illness Benefit and it is not necessary to apply for the Partial Capacity Scheme.
    If you are getting Invalidity Pension you cannot do more than 19.5 hours of voluntary work per week. If you are getting Illness Benefit or Disability Allowance, there is no limit on the number of hours per week you can work unpaid as a volunteer.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/voluntary_work_and_social_welfare_payments.html

srsly78 wrote: »

Its not invalidity allowance,
    I actually don't have the ability to work, but sitting down answering a phone, taking orders and serving people at a till won't harm me.

I am only wanting to do it on a trial basis anyway, to see how I get on and can I handle it,
    and no point in doing it paid, because if I gave it up say after 3 weeks, what would the point be type of thing, because there'd be paperwork for taxes, prsi and the like, I think I'd cost the state/employer(whom is a good friend of mine)more money if people get my drift.
    reasons why I want to do it are the following:
    - I'm good at interacting with people, despite my bipolar,
    also my friend the 'employer' is from New Delhi, so his English is not good,
    I've witnessed customers walk out because he could not understand them and they got frustrated with, at the time I didn't want to intervene.
    - Plain and simple I want the 'working experience'.
    - I can't do actual physical work, can't even type as I have the shake's, this post so far has taken me approx 30 mins to write out on my phone!!!!!
    That'll be fun taking out someone's change,etc if I do get permission!!! ha!
    -- IMPORTANT
    My friend said he doesn't want to take advantage and was wonder could he 'give me food'. However I'm guessing that might be considered a form of pay and that the dept. of social welfare won't allow that.
    Also for those wondering, I'm posting so late, because I'm an recovering alcoholic and since I've gave drinking up my sleep pattern is gone all over the place! I know its not relevant, just in case any of ye thought why do I just post on boards late at night early morning!!!

Thanks to those who've giving (supporting)me advice so far.

Sincerely,

iguy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Just my opinion but I cant see the department allowing you work in a business even though you claim it will be unpaid work. They may see it as being paid work and it may affect your disability claim. You could try for some similar work with local charity organisations, many of these require people to do office work at times.

danjo-xx wrote: »
    foggy_lad wrote: »
    Just my opinion but I cant see the department allowing you work in a business even though you claim it will be unpaid work. They may see it as being paid work and it may affect your disability claim. You could try for some similar work with local charity organisations, many of these require people to do office work at times.

Thanks foggy lad, for your input.
    office work would be no good, most I could do would be answer a phone, and like I mentioned in a previous post I have the shake's and I can't use a pc properly and my handwriting is the best.
    Also like I said, I interact with people well, but face to face only, I get the stutters whilst talking on the phone....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

For it to meet the criteria of voluntary work while on any social welfare payment there would have to be clarity that the voluntary position did not involve cheap labour or job replacement. Normally the voluntary positions would be with charitable organizations and there are usually lots locally which could be accessed through Citizens Information or by calling in to charity shops like St. Vincent de Paul, Enable Ireland, Cancer Support, Simon etc. They, and other charities, have wide range of positions available. As other posters mentioned, then check out with the Dept of Social Protection before starting any volunteering position. Best of luck to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Have a chat with a staff member in your local volunteer centre. There are lots of positions that could suit you. I agree that working unpaid in a private company will probably not be viewed well.

Www.volunteer.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

An Indian running a Chinese take away? :pac:

You're in the midlands OP.
    If you are near Tullamore the Order of Malta will let you do a few hours/weeks in the office and you can see how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

OP you might like to have a look here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=383

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement